3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

security of track changes history (Word 2000/SP3)

We often circulate drafts of contracts, license agreements and policy statements. We use track changes and insert comments. But when we have finished working out the Terms and Conditions I want to send a clean copy to the vendor or contractor. I understand that "trails" of comments and changes can be recovered from the document even after the comments have been deleted and all of the changes accepted.

There are third party software programs such as Workshare

Thanks

Re: security of track changes history (Word 2000/S

> I understand that "trails" of comments and changes can be recovered from the document even after the comments have been
    > deleted and all of the changes accepted.

I don't think that is true. The only place those things could hide after you delete them would be in the "Fast Saves" buffer, which presumably you have disabled, or in the Undo buffer, which should get flushed when you close the document. (This assumes, of course, that Word is working properly.) The most common cause of disclosure is that people simply hide the changes rather than accepting them. Oops!

Word 2000 did store file locations and user names in hidden parts of its document structure. I posted a macro that can purge that, though a method I called cloning.

If you would like an alternative to WorkShare, take a look at iScrub. The site provides a free downloable "Metadata Viewer" called iDiscover (you do have to provide marketing information to get it). And of course, if neither fits your needs or budget, there are others...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since Word 2000 is what I use can you give me a reference to your previous post with the Clone Macro. I tried to search for it, but I don't really understand the search engine in Wood's Lounge.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Searching isn't difficult:
    - Click the Search button in the Lounge's menu bar.
    - Check that the correct forum to search in is selected.
    - Type a search term.
    - Click Submit.
    Jefferson mentioned the word clone. I typed that into the search box, and looked for posts by jscher2000 in the list of search results. I immediately found <post#=277803>post 277803</post#>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm a new member...
    I ran the code from this post in the VB Editor off the Tools menu in Word 2003
    and got a syntax error...I added an End If after the Exit Sub line in the If statement 8 lines down for
    "Clone the current doc as new doc?" and it worked like a charm...
    don't know if this will fix it in Word 97, but it might be worth a shot...
    Hope this helps!

Thanks

Did you have to clean up the line breaks when you copied the code? There is a trick to this: copy and paste into a blank Word document. Word knows how to interpret the tags that break lines in preformatted text. Unfortunately, the VB Editor, Notepad, and most other editors get it quite wrong, leading to lots of wasted clean up time.

I've attached a text file version that shouldn't need another End If, should anyone want or need it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Yes, I did have line breaks
    to reckon with. thanks for the file.