2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Box Value (Access 97)

I have a combo box, and I am trying to get the selected value in the combo box to appear in a textbox on the form. There is a number and a description in the combo box. I want them to appear in two separate textboxes so i can edit them. Any help is appreciated.

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box Value (Access 97)

What should happen if the user selects a value in the combo box? Do you want to look up a record based on the value?
    Are the number and the description in two different columns of the combo box, or in the same column?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When the user selects a value form the combo box, it will lookup the value based on what is picked. The values in the combo box are concatenated from values in the table. They are not in separate columns.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To make sure I understand correctly, do you have code in the After Update event of the combo box to find a record?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now I have the code:
    SELECT tblBillingCode.[BillingCode] & " - " & tblBillingCode.[Description] as FullDesc , tblBillingCode.[BillingCode], tblBillingCode.[Description] FROM tblBillingCode ORDER BY tblBillingCode.[BillingCode];
    in the row source for the combo box. I want the textboxes for billing code and description to fill in when i select a particular billing code from the combo box. there is no code in the after update event for the combo box

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Write the following procedure for the After Update event of the combo box. Replace ComboName by the name of your combo box, and txtBillingCode and txtDescription by the names of the text boxes to be filled.

Private Sub ComboName_AfterUpdate()
    If IsNull(Me.ComboName) Then
    Me.txtBillingCode = Null
    Me.txtDescription = Null
    Else
    Me.txtBillingCode = Me.ComboName.Column(1)
    Me.txtDescription = Me.ComboName.Column(2)
    End If
    End Sub

The columns in a combo box are numbered starting at 0, so we use Column(1) to refer to the second column, etc.