New Lounger
    Thanks

FP2003: Server timeout eror on open site (FP2003SP2)

When trying to open site from the hard drive for a 20MB site, I receive an error "Server "" timeout error occurred". As a result, I am unable to open the site to edit the pages. This is local - not on a server, just trying to open to edit the pages. I can File, Open for one pages at a time, but not Open Site. Machine is WinXP, SP1, 1GB RAM. Tried 3 different machines, all running versions of XP. This is not a new site - I've been working on this site for the last 10 months. No abnormal indications on last save.

Thanks

Re: FP2003: Server timeout eror on open site (FP20

Between the time that it worked and the time that it stopped working, do you recall installing any firewall-type software? For example, the SP2 upgrade to Windows XP? If FrontPage is accessing your site through a local web server (e.g., http://127.0.0.1/ or http://localhost/ etc.) then a firewall may be blocking your own access to your own computer (sounds nutty, but it certainly is possible). A timeout is what one would expect, because the firewall will simply throw away the packets sent by FP and not respond.

If you are trying to open a regular c:my websblahblah web, then it could be that some of the "hidden" files or folders have become corrupted, so FP has lost its ability to understand the web. I'm not sure how best to address that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No Firewalls have been installed, no upgrades (SP or anything).
    Any idea where "hidden" files might reside? Someone else suggested deleting "hidden" and "temp" files and try again, but if they're hidden, how do I find them?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

To view hidden files and folders, you change a setting in Windows Explorer:

Tools>Folder Options..., View tab, there is a choice of two radio buttons for whether to see or not see hidden files.

Every FP web has lots of folders that start with _ underscore characters. I believe that if these folders are messed up, FP will not open the web properly. However, this is based on working with FP 2000, and the new version may have different issues.