New Lounger
    Thanks

Protecting forms in Word 2003 (Word 2003)

I've designed a lot of forms in earlier versions of Word with no problem. I have a form that consists of a table with the form fields in place. I put in a continuous section break after the table/form. I then protect Section 1 (the table/form) and unprotect Section 2 (the rest of the form). I don't want to use a text field to do this, thus the section break and unprotecting. This was a snap in pre-2003 Word. When you selected Protect Doc you got a nice little dialog box with all the sections and check marks for each section that you wanted to protect/unprotect. This functionality seems to have vanished from Word 2003....or am I missing something. I know the interface has changed but I don't seem to be able to do this.

Any input on this is appreciated in advance!

Mark

Thanks

Re: Protecting forms in Word 2003 (Word 2003)

I don't have Word 2003, but this article makes the process sound pretty similar, but using a Task Pane: Microsoft Office Assistance: Create forms that users complete in Word (Step 8, second item). Does it help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

The article doesn't really help. The problem is that MS has done away with the dialog box that allows you to protect/unprotect indidual sections withiin the document. It seems that they have gone to "all or none" on the protection. I can allow only filling in forms, but that doesn't allow me to let them respond in the unprotected area of the document.

This was a no brainer in earlier versions...but with all the improvements...hah!

Thank again
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should still be available in Word 2003. Have you selected "Filling in forms" in the "Editing restrictions" section of the Document Protection task pane? Only then will you be able to specify which sections to protect:
    <hr>Sections: Available only when the protect document forms option is selected, this option allows you to turn on protection for a specific section of the form. Using this capability, you can create a multi-section document containing forms and instructions, allowing change in some areas while protecting others.<hr>
    (From Microsoft Office 2003 Editions Security Whitepaper)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yours answer is kind of what I thought...but there is no cascading menu's or dialog boxes that give you the choice of selecting individual sections to select or unselect. I'll check out the white paper and see what's there. Like I said, I've done this in every version of Word back to at least V6 and you get the nice little dialog box...but no more!

Thanks for your suggestion on the white paper.

Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you try clicking the "Select sections..." on the task pane? It seems to display the same dialog box as I remember.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (8.2 KB, 0 views)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I liked the old style too. I've written a few macro's to make it a little easier for myself. These are accessible through buttons on a commandbar. See attached document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

Thanks for your reply. I tried this on a different computer and sure enough it worked. I went back and tried it on my computer and I don't get the "select sections" choice when I protect the document. Hummm! Guess I need to reinstall Office.

Thanks again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure the document contains at least 2 sections? If there's only 1 section then this line doesn't appear!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan,

I've got it figured out now. I reloaded Office XP and everything works as it should. I was having problems with my local machine. When I tried creating the form on another machine...all went well. I thought I was having a 24 hour brain tumor!

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Mark