Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    DBEngine.CompactDatabase (Access 2K SP3)

    My Access program has a line
    DBEngine.CompactDatabase......
    to compact a database.
    The line worked fine in a machine with Access 2000 SP3 and WinXP Pro SP2, but crashed in a machine with Access 2000 SP3 and Windows XP Home SP2. Can anyone give me a clue why it happened this way?

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: DBEngine.CompactDatabase (Access 2K SP3)

    Is the problem consistent, i.e. does it always crash? Have you tried it on other PC's with Windows XP Home?

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: DBEngine.CompactDatabase (Access 2K SP3)

    Yes, the crash is consistent. I didn't try it on another Windows XP Home machine as I don't have one available at the moment. Perhaps I should try. But the "problem" line worked fine in all the WinXP Pro machines as well as Win98 machines that run the Access program.

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: DBEngine.CompactDatabase (Access 2K SP3)

    I doubt that Windows XP Home itself is the culprit (although I cannot be sure about this)

    Has the latest service pack for Jet 4.0 been installed on the Windows XP Home PC? See How to obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine for details.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: DBEngine.CompactDatabase (Access 2K SP3)

    After scratching my head and wasting your precious time in answering my posts, I managed to solve the problem. It wasn't Windows XP Home nor the version of my MSJet, it was the corrupted back-end data! I actually and simply copied the original data from a WinXP Pro machine to my WinXP Home machine and did some data entry. Then the DBEngine.CompactDatabase surfaced. When I browsed through separately the back-end database with Access, some records had "Invalid bookmark" problem. After replacing the corrupted database with the original one, DBEngine.CompactDatabase works as expected.

    Now is my time to find out why the database got corrupted....

    Thanks for your reponse, Hans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •