Lounger
    Thanks

Side-By-Side Data Fields In A PivotTable (2000)

I was dinking around with AutoFormat in a PivotTable today and it did something that I don't know was possible and that I cannot duplicate manually.

The PT I was using had two different data fields. As usual, the fields were "stacked", by which I mean one field's results were on top of the other. So if one data field was a sum and the other an average, it looked like this:

NW Region Sum 100
    Average 50

I hope that makes sense. Anyway,...

I decided I wanted to AutoFormat it, opened the corresponding dialog box and selected the "Table 7" style. Once I applied the style, I realized that the data fields, instead of being stacked, were now side-by-side. So it looked kind of like this:

Sum Average
    NW Region 100 50

Again, I hope that makes sense.

At any rate, I've never seen this done (don't play with the AutoFormat feature much) and have no idea how to place data fields side-by-side like this - never even knew it was possible. I've been moving fields from place to place, checking table and field options, etc. for a couple of hours now and have not manually been able to duplicate the effect.

How does one place the data fields side-by-side manually (without use of the AutoFormat gallery) and, more importantly, how does one move side-by-side fields back to their original stacked configuration? If you then go back to the AutoFormat gallery and select "Classic PivotTable", it removes all formatting BUT leaves the data fields side-by-side, rather than stacked like they were to begin with. And I can't figure out how to get them back to the way they started - even if I remove a data field and re-add it, it appears beside the existing data field, not in the more familiar stack.

I'm sure this is something absolutely trivial that I'm just not getting.

Thanks for any help, as this is really starting to get under my skin.

Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Side-By-Side Data Fields In A PivotTable (2000)

If you have more than one data field, you can decide whether they act as row fields (the default) or as column fields (as set by AutoFormat). You should see a "Data" button in the pivot table, to the right of the row fields. If you drag this button to the column fields, the data fields will be displayed side by side. If you drag it back to the row fields, the data fields will be one above the other.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks! I never knew that was possible. Thanks again.

Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't either! That is one of the nice things about the Lounge: you learn new things by answering as well as by asking.