New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted ref. to linked graphics - F9 failure (2002 SP3)

I am updating a largish Word document with several hundred linked graphics (mostly pngs). When I change a graphic file, I sometimes refresh with F9 (on the result) to see how things look. But alas. F9 on the linked graphic file turns the result from a nice graphic to a nasty red cross.

I have just examined the field codes in the current version and in an earlier one. The reference in the earlier version has no path - which is logical, because all of the graphics are in the same directory as the Word document. For example: { INCLUDEPICTURE "Authentication Failed.png"*MERGEFORMATd }
    But in the current file, the field reads { INCLUDEPICTURE "Cocuments and SettingsdikApplication DataMicrosoftWordAuthentication Failed.png"*MERGEFORMATd }.

Going back through several versions I found out that the addition of a superfluous and probably destructive path happened as a part of a "repair".
    I wanted to adjust the formatting of my Index - and (foolishly) selected "Edit field" while I had the Index results displayed. This resulted in a total crash and a so-called repair. Looking at the repair results didn't give me any ideas about what to do so I decided to continue writing and editing in the "repaired" file. I had no problems adjusting my index format using another method (can't remember which) - and I was actually concentrating on content .... so ...

Now I have to figure out how to preserve about 8 hours of writing and restore the correct field references. Does anyone have an idea about how I can do this efficiently? I know that I can edit each and every field (I've verified that it is possible) ... but I really, really don't want to.

A few more bits of info:

The graphics print just fine even though the fields include the superfluous path - it's only the refresh that makes Word freak out.

F9 on the TOC or Index (results) works fine, while select all (Ctrl+A) with F9 gives no response at all. So the refresh problem isn't just limited to graphics, but it is probably triggered by it.

The Word document was created in Word 2000 and went over to Word 2002 without any problems.

I can get a refresh by using the web tool bar's refresh tool (!) - but the result gets distorted. I can repair the distortion by fiddling around with the picture format/size - this is just a "curiosum", not any kind of a sensible solution.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted ref. to linked graphics - F9 failure (2002 SP3)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Fellow Lounger <!profile=macropod>macropod<!/profile> has written a utility to update the path to linked pictures (and some other links). The document with the code and instructions on how to use it is attached to <post#=261488>post 261488</post#>. I hope that you can use it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thanks for your quick response.

Unfortunately, the macro didn't solve my problem. It worked fine if the result I wanted was the correct full path instead of the incorrect full path.
    But what I wanted was no path. Following the instructions in the document, I cancelled out the folder browser. The result was {INCLUDEPICTURE " } instead of (for example) {INCLUDEPICTURE "Login.png" * MERGEFORMAT d }. I tried this with option 2 and with option 3 - with the same results. Maybe I didn't follow the instructions correctly?

However, in any case, I did find a solution that I would like to share with fellow loungers!

I found that it is possible to use find and replace text within fields as long as they are displayed instead of the field results (Alt+F9) before you do the search.
    So: Find Cocuments and SettingsdikApplication DataMicrosoftWord Replace <blank> 170 replacements done in 1-2 seconds.

In my original post I mentioned a few other interesting things about the field content in my messed up document. The following might also be nice to know:

I did a Google Search on MERGEFORMATINET and MERGEFORMAT. MERGEFORMAT is actually MergeFormatINET. On http://www.mcse.ms/archive138-2003-12-118240.html I found a discussion about losing graphic links. Cindy Meister, MVP from INTER-Solutions, Switzerland, explained that the switch gets set here: Tools > Options > General > Web Options > Files: the check box for "update links on save" is activated. This setting *should* only affect web pages - but it in fact affects everything that Word touches. So the preventive measure is to de-active the check box.

To completely clean up my poor document, I also found MERGEFORMATINET and replaced it with MERGEFORMAT.

Well, now I can get back to writing and updating my graphics.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing! It may well help others.