3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Self-opening mail and attachments (6.0)

Recently I moved from Dial-Up to Hi-Speed using Sympatico.ca (in Canada). Sympatico.ca states that they do not support Mozilla I can't use Mozilla anymore as an Email client and am LOCKED IN to Outlook Express, much to my regret. When I receive mail using OE, the mail and any attachments pop open whether I want them to or not. Is there some way to set it up so that they Open only after I double click or make a definite selection?
    Second point: OE has deleted or quarantined some incoming attachments and I don't know where to look for or find the deleted or quarantined items.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Self-opening mail and attachments (6.0)

I think that you will find that your ISP will NOT help you out if you use any email program other than OE. Comcast is the same way, including "Outlook 97-2003".

You should be able to use the same POP and SMTP settings is any email program.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Mail should not open by itself. However, if you use the preview pane and have security set to honor IE's "Internet" zone rather than "Restricted" zone settings, it may be that HTML-format messages are popping themselves open using script. Very strange and disturbing if it's true. Visit the security section of OE's Options to make sure you are reading mail in the restricted zone.

What kinds of attachments open?

Attachment blocking, unless changed in Windows XP SP2, was an "all or nothing" affair. This also is in the options dialog, with wording similar to "protect me from possibly bad attachments" -- the problem being that it wasn't selective enough and ended up blocking useful and likely safe things as well. Really not a good system...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK sorted out part of the problem. Using your snapshot I got into the READ tab and unchecked the item "automatically download when viewing in the preview pane"
    Previously it was opening photo attachments as well as messages.

NOW if I can just find what OE is filtering out??

Thanx mucho.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After a long struggle with Sympatico.ca I finally got them to support Mozilla and I am WELL RID of OE. Thanx for all the assistance from all in the Lounge.

Thanks

Can you share the details of how you were able to do this Pat? This might be of help to other Sympatico users who find themselves in the same situation.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK will do dat. I fought through all the so called tech assistants and insisted on speaking to a Supervisor. I finally got through to a Mr. Stuart Graham at 1-888-590-2375, ext. 5261. You have to insist that you speak to him. I told him that a Bell Canada lineman I talked to on street corner told me that Hi-Speed WAS available in my area, in spite of all the denials I had been getting that it was NOT available. He did some checking and called me back and confirmed that it WAS available. Within a few days they delivered the modem, filters and cables and lickety split I was connected. It took several more calls until Stuart got a knowledgeable Tech online and with a few minor entries I was able to get Mozilla working. Mr Graham was a MOST helpful and courteous person to deal with.

Hope this is HELPFUL to others.

Thanks

"and with a few minor entries I was able to get Mozilla working" - do you remember what these few entries were?
    Thanks Pat.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, the GREY matter is getting a bit fuzzy. It involved making changes to the incoming and outgoing server settings and also the user name. But exact changes elude me for now.