Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can I delete this folder? (2003 SP-1)

After upgrading from Office 2000 to Office 2003 I noticed that in: C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office that I have a folder named, "Office" (29.6 megs) and one named "OFFICE11" (112 megs). It appears that most of what is in the "Office" folder is also in the "OFFICE11" folder. I am assuming that the "Office" folder is a leftover from the upgrade? Can this folder be deleted with all its contents?

On a related issue, when I run Norton WinDoctor, there are LOTS of entries for "bad" shortcuts, missing ActiveX, Help files, etc., related to the Office 2003 upgrade. I remember getting these types of items found when I installed Office 2000 years ago and it was okay to delete/remove them. Does this apply equally to these related to Office 2003; can/should they be deleted?

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can I delete this folder? (2003 SP-1)

Your inference about the prupose of the folders is correct. I would recommend, however, that you move the "Office" file to somewhere else on your hrd drive and leave it there for a couple of weeks - just in case something bizarre depends on it. That way, you won't have to struggle should the folder still be required for some reason.

Can't respond on Norton WinDoctor - as I don't use it.

HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can always delete shortcuts. The worse that happens is that you don't have a convenient way to launch something. However, I can't tell you about the Active X & Help files.
    Cheers,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

A c lean install of Office 2003 results in Office11 and Office10 directories in the MMicrosoft Office directory.
    Could be that an upgrade handles things differently.

It is likely that the Office directory is left over from the Office 2000 install.
    An upgrade likely left all sorts of debris on the disk and in the registry.

I always do clean installs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Be careful with deleting "bad" shortcuts and "cleaning" the Registry! Check the release date of your version of WinDoctor: if it is EARLIER than Office2003 release date (August 2003), definitely do not use its advice!

You can end up with some weird problems like inability to insert Excel worksheet into Word document or printing only the first slide in PowerPoint presentation. Of course, you always can repair your Office installation, but it brings you back to square one...

If free space on your hard drive is limited, consider to acquire bigger hard drive - now they are very inexpensive. It will be better than struggle with software problems, anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why would a clean install of 2003 create an Office 10 folder? Office 10 is XP and that folder should only be created for 2002 applications. I don't have 2003 installed, so I can't say you're wrong, but that doesn't seem logical and it isn't congruent with the way Office 10 installed.
    Charlotte

Thanks

You are correct Charlotte. Had to reformat and reinstall everything on my son's laptop a few months back, including Office 2003. There is obviously an Office 11 folder but there is definitely NO Office 10 folder.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

"WinDoctor: if it is EARLIER than Office2003 release date (August 2003), definitely do not use its advice!"
    Possibly I have been fortunate, but I am using Norton Utilities (updated with Live Update of course) which is a part of Norton System Works 5. I run this "older" version of WinDoctor on a regular basis and have not encountered any of the problems to which you refer. If problems are encountered, there is the option to "View Repair History and (optionally) undo changes". This might be the preferred method to isolate a "bad" correction rather than repairing the Office installation, which, as you say, will bring you back to square one.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte is not correct.
    The Office10 directory is not a full Office 10.
    It contains only 8 files totalling 580KB.
    I suspect that they are there for some compatibility option that I have in my full install.
    No other version of Office was ever installed on this syst em and that likely affects what gets installed.

Thanks

Did you do a custom install? I certainly can imagine MS including some "old" components that do not have direct counterparts or that are required for compatibility. But it sounds as though the default install does not create such a folder. What's in there, anyway?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Last time I asked Symantec, I was told that Norton Utilities 2002 was still the most recent version of NU.
    Is that still true?

Don't know the version ,as I run NU from the CD, not installed on disk.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The date on the Office10 directory is the same as the date on the Microsoft Office directory, it was created by the install.
    I always do a full install of Office.

<pre>02/13/2001 01:59 66,976 MSOHTMED.EXE
    10/30/2000 12:27 36,864 MSOSTYLE.DLL
    06/28/2000 14:22 82,192 UCSCRIBE.DLL
    01/02/2001 18:57 110,639 SAEXT.DLL
    10/12/1999 11:39 90,112 SEQCHK10.DLL
    01/02/2001 18:49 109,521 THDIC.LEX
    11/10/2000 18:53 19,342 TRIGRAM.LEX
    8 File(s) 594,910 bytes
    </pre>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I do not know how or why those files would have been installed. I have a full installation of Office 2003 Professional on a system that did not have a previous version of Office installed and I do not have an Office10 directory.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The 2 .lex files are only in the Office 10 directory.
    The others have corresponding files in the Office 11 directory, but each has a different date and quite different size in the Office11 directory than in the Office10 directory..

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Again, it was the install that created the directory not I, and the partitiion was a clean install of Win 2000 last August with a clean install of every app. Indeed, the clean install of Win 2000 was created for the sole purpse of having a separately installed Office 2003. The OS was created on 20 Aug 2003, MSFT Office on 21 Aug 2003.

I've noticed, in the past, when MSFT does an install, the software may snoop around on ALL disk drives, not only the one on which the OS and associated programs are installed.
    The installation software may have detected that I have Office XP installed in another system on another drive and. for whatever reason, decided that I had to have that directory.

So, you'll have to ask Bill Gates for the answer to this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast