Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore (XPP SP2)

I am told and read that System Restore is supposed to create a daily restore point or a restore point when anything significant changes. I haven
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Restore (XPP SP2)

I found this on TechNet. Pershaps a teensy-weensy bit may apply?

[i]Troubleshooting

Q. What should I do if System Restore does not work?

A. Try these steps if System Restore does not appear to work:
    Ensure the System Restore service is running. For more information, see: How can I verify that the System Restore services are running on my machine?
    Ensure the Task Scheduler is running. For more information, see: How can I verify that the Task Scheduler is running on my machine?
    Verify that you have enough free space on all your drives as required by System Restore. If the free space on any partition system restore is monitoring falls below 50 MB, System Restore will suspend and purge out all restore points to free up disk space. It will automatically reactivate when 200 MB+ free space is available. For more information, see How the System Restore Tool Handles Hard-Disk Space Usage.
    Examine event logs for any system restore-related errors that could help you identify the problem.

Q. Why is System Restore suspended enough free space on the system drive exists?

A. Suspension can occur if:
    A non-system drive with System Restore enabled has less than 50 MB of free disk space
    A copy, delete, modify operation was made to a file monitored by System Restore. This typically causes System Restore to suspend across the system.

Q. When using System Restore, I receive the following message: 'System restore was unable to start due to a missing Framedyn.dll. Please reinstall the application to fix this problem'. How do I fix this?

A. This event usually occurs when the Windows path is corrupt. To resolve this issue, begin by installing Windows XP Service Pack 1. Alternatively, you can temporarily address this issue by copying the framedyn.dll file from the windowssystem32wbem directory to the windowssystem32 directory. If you cannot locate the .dll file in the
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you want a utility which can be scheduled to cause the creation of a System Restore Point, I commend you to http://dougknox.com/ and look for "Win XP Utilities" then "Single Click System Restore Point", from whose page you can download a ZIP file which expands to give a 20 KB EXE file.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the reply.

System Restore is running. Task scheduler is running but it does not list System Restore as one of its tasks. Should it? If so is Restore Point a task that can be scheduled? I guess I
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Strange, I guess I won't find out about System Restore being a task that can be scheduled. Although Task Scheduler is running and it does perform the tasks it has listed, it will not allow me to add a task. It just sits there and then when I check it with the Task Manager it says it is not responding. Don't want to change the topic of this thread but any help on this would also be appreciated.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I read that you do not see a scheduled task. Here's a sliver from the MS site about System Restore:

System Restore creates restore points on a regular basis even if you have not made any changes to the system. System Restore automatically creates these restore points:
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Also, see <!mskb=299904>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 299904<!/mskb>.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for the link and info. Actually I have 124 Gig of free space so that shouldn't be the problem. I don't see anything in Task Manager that would cause the disk to not be idle but maybe there is something I'm missing.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks

If you have more than one partition, it is not the total free space but the free space on any partition that is monitored. Do you have anything that runs while a screensaver is active?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I have 2 hard drives both 160 Gig. and both with more than 124 Gig. free space.

I do have an anti-virus program and a firewall that run all the time. Do you suppose they would cause System Restore to not create a restore point every 24 hours?

In addition the Task Manager shows a lot of processes running but I would think that normal on any machine, correct?
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What firewall and antivirus do you use? From your other thread at least one seems to be causing a problem!

My Norton Internet Security uses the Task Scheduler to do a full scan every week, and to detect whether LiveUpdate should download any new updates there is a task running every four hours. System Restore points seems to get created quite happily roughly every 24 hours (though there is no entry in Scheduled Jobs).

It is very common to have at least 50 processes running.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

I use Norton's Anti-Virus and it too does a weekly scan and also any live updates that are needed. It is one of the scheduled tasks that existed before I posted about these System Restore points.

My firewall is ZoneAlarm Pro and it is the latest update that just came out this week.

At this point in time I do have 48 processes running but I have no idea which, if any, is causing the lack of restore points.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

One more thing, I only have Norton's Anti-Virus program loaded not any of the other programs associated with Norton System Works. Don't know if this makes any difference but I thought I'd throw it out so it is known that none of my 48 running processes has anything to do with Norton except the anti-virus program.

Again, thanks.
    H Lewton

Thanks

Don't know if this will help, but I found this on Doug Knox's site.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rebel,

Thanks. If a script was created to run a System Restore point that kind of tells me that I'm not the only one who had this problem.
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast