Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Peculiar workgroup printer sharing problem (SP2)

The setup is as follows:

Small workgroup of seven machines running XP Pro SP2.

Three machines each have a locally attached printer, two via USB (an HP LaserJet and a Kyocera laser) and one via parallel port (Epson inkjet).

It is intended that each PC should be able to print to any of the three printers.

What happens is that the HP and the Kyocera share nicely, and a couple of new machines immediately found them on the network and installed them automatically (woopee!), but I cannot get the Epson to be usable on any machine bar its direct connect.

If you try to connect from another machine to the Epson printer, it comes up with a signon screen, but won't accept any userid defined on "the Epson-attached PC" (perhaps because the original userids have no password?

I've gone through all the places where printer sharing appears to be set up, and set permissions for Everybody to have access to documents and to control the printer, but nothing.

I then deleted the two userids on that PC, so leaving only Administrator (without a password). The other PS with attached printers only have Administrator (no password) on them, with Guest disabled, so as far as I can tell all three PCs with printers are now identically configured -- but the problem persists!

The "connection mode", USB or parallel port, should be irrelevant, IMHO.

Has anyone any suggestions about how to force this recalcitrant Epson printer also to share nicely?

Thanks very much!

John

PS I never got this sort of trouble on a domain!!

PPS Next time I can try suggestions is next Thursday!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Peculiar workgroup printer sharing problem (SP

"with Guest disabled"
    That may be the problem. Have a look at this article . Scroll down to the "Troubleshooting file and printer sharing" section.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

John

I actually remember that that suggestion came up in a previous thread! But it doesn't explain why the other two printers work correctly on Guest-disabled PCs (yes, I checked)! And surely security wisdom is that you [b[always[/b] leave the Guest account disabled?

Puzzled...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

John,
    Are the Guest accounts "disabled" or simply turned off? See <!mskb=300489>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 300489<!/mskb>. On my small network, the account is turned off on all four computers but it is not disabled. This article has a good description of the difference between "disable" and "turn off". HTH.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

On one of the computers that is working can you connect to a share from another computer and then have a look at Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions and tell us what information it shows about the remote computer. My guess is that it will show the Guest account in use - but surprise me.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I had another bash today and ensured that all the Guest accounts on all three machines, each with an attached printer, were as expected and as defined in John-the-Rebel's post. Still the Epson printer would not share.

The techie I was talking to suggested that it was necessary to set up every single user-type account that existed on any machine on all the machines -- has anyone heard that one before? (I will email him John's links...). Since this is not currently the case, he had no explanation about why the other two printers were quite happily sharable. So we set up some new accounts on the "Epson-connected machine" and another one, put them into the Administrator's group, and so on, and at some point the printer became browsable, but couldn't be connected to (work that one out!). I suspect something particularly weird has been set up in the permissions somewhere by the person who is alleged to have worked on the problem previously...

I will probably take the next month off to read a treatise somewhere on "How to share printers in an XP Pro workgroup" -- if I can find it!

Thanks for suggestions, chaps!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...