2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

outlook newsreader (2003 sp1)

IThe new outlook has it's own newsreader. I have followed the help instructions to put news in the go drop down menu. It works the first time perfectly , after that I get a window for windows explorer: C:Program FilesCommon FilesSYSTEMMSMAPI1033
    There is no .exe file listed there. What am i doing wrong.?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: outlook newsreader (2003 sp1)

The Outlook 2003 Newsreader is actually a bit of a case of "smoke and mirrors". It is, in fact, Outlook Express. There is a Menu Option you can add in Outlook - Customise|Commands|Go|News that will open whichever your designated Newsreader is in Internet Options. As in earlier version of Outlook, there is no actual internal Newreader in Outlook itself. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand that it is really outlook express with a different title bar. I also get that "Do you want to make this your default newsreader?" message whenever it's switched. I guess I should just give up and put an outlook express shortcut on my desktop, but this is so bizarre! If I follow the add button/customize/commands/ go and drag news into go, as suggested in the help menu, it works! One time! After that it either disappears completely from the go drop down menu or it takes me to C:Program FilesCommon FilesSYSTEMMSMAPI1033. News is also gone from the button/commands/go place. If I close and reopen Outlook "News" might reappear in the Go drop down menu.
    Thanks,
    Terry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Terry

The following worked for me.

Make sure Outlook Express is selected as your default newsreader on the programs tab in internet options, accessible from either the control panel or from within IE.

Select Go>News from Outlook and if you get the message about OE not being the default newsreader, de-select the option to always check if it is the default newsreader and then click on NO so it does not try to make it your default newsreader.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

We did have a thread on this kind of problem shortly after Outlook 2003 was released, but I am unable to find it easily. It sounds as if an entry is missing in a file in C:Program FilesCommon FilesSYSTEMMSMAPI1033 - possibly in mapisvc.inf. From what you say, it seems certain that Outlook Express is listed as your default newsreader in Internet Options. Have you, however, gone ahead and subscribed to a news group yet? HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook express is and has always been my default newsreader. I don't seem to have two Outlook expresses that I can find although there are two differnt title bars ever since I upgraded to Office 2003. I get the same newsgroups I always did with no trouble. In My Humble Opinion I should be able to access newsgroups from the bottom of the Folder List like Notes, Contacts, Mail. Maybe in the next incarnaton of Office.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Personally, I would be inclined to agree with yiour IMHO. OTOH Microsoft recently has not been keen to support newsgroups. Its online forums have been noticeably trimmed back, and, when we had the "minor flutter" a number of months ago about OE being withdrawn in Windows Longhorn, there was no suggestion that any other Microsoft product would step up to the plate with newsreader support. FWIW, if I set my newsreader default to a non-MS product, Outlook Go|News will open that product - although (as it is a Mail|News program) not to the News section of that program.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What newsreader do you use?
    Terry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This test was on Mozilla Thunderbird - which is a free Mail/News client. There are also dedicated News only clients - although these tend not to be freeware.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That (Thunderbird) works flawlessly, not just one time but everytime! I didn't even have to point Go's "news" to a new target! Which I don't understand at all. I think microsoft wishes newsgroups would just go away since they don't make any money off them.
    I thank You!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I didn't even have to point Go's "news" to a new target!

This is as it should be: Go|News should simply open whichever New client is designated as your default in Internet Options.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I never even did that. Since I use Firefox's browser I haven't opened OE in a long time and I was afraid if I clicked the window that asks "Do you want to make this the default?" it would make Thunderbird my default mailreader too. I'm thrilled that it all works, thanks.
    terry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You mentioned that you use a non-MS product as your default newsreader. I use FeedDemon as a newsreader but when I check Internet Options in IE the only option is OE. Is there any way I can change this ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions !!!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Is not FeedDemon a newsreader that reads RSS feeds? This discussion has been about newsreaders that subscribe to News groups using the (much older) NNTP protocol. I think we may be talking at cross purposes. As yet, Windows has only partially recognised RSS feeds. Some RSS clients can integrate into Outlook. One of them may be NewsGator. HTH
    Gre