4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chinease characters? (Windows XP ProfessionalSP2/Access XP)

What could cause a field in a form to display what looks like Chinease characters in the alternative to what is in the table as alpha character data? I have seen this twice recently. First time I was able to repair the problem by a Compact and Repair. Second time I was able to fix the problem by changing the fields datatype from Memo to Text as the database did not need to really use the Memo datatype. I did several searches of the forum, and could not find any references to this problem It is entirely possible I did not choose apprpriate search words.

Any information would be appreciated.

Carla Simmons

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chinease characters? (Windows XP ProfessionalSP2/Access XP)

Although I haven't experienced problems with memo fields in my databases, they have a reputation of being prone to corruption. Memo fields are more vulnerable than text fields because they aren't stored in the table itself, but in a separate storage in the database; the table itself contains only a pointer to the storage. If something goes wrong with this link, the memo field may become gibberish.

Is your database used by more than one user? If so, do you have a split frontend/backend design?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I database that I was able to resolve the problem with a compact and repair was a split database used by about 25 users.
    This is a large complex database and has been in use for about eight years whitout having this problem It only has happened on one occasion about one month ago.
    The database that I resolved the problem by changing the datatype of the field from Memo to Text is not a split database used by only a couple of users. I am not sure of it's history I was working on it for a business collegue.
    Thank you for the information on how the memo field us used. I have known for a while there are problems with a Memo datatype in terms of what you can do with it in expressions and that it was not a "true" datatype but never knew what exactly Access did with the field. I also have found and heard from others the Decimal datatype can bring some inconsistent results so I have just pretty much decided I don't have a need to use it.

I thought it really unusual to see the same thing happen twice in different databases within a short period of time, and have never seen it before.

I very much appreciate the information in your post.
    Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should split any database with more than one user into a frontend/backend. See <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile>'s tutorial Why Split a Database?.