2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

E-Mail Notification Address - Spam Problem

Your Excellencies and your Highnesses,

I have big problems letting your notification Messages of replies or such pass my email-spam-filter. That is because I get those emails from LoungeAdmin <myname@myaddress.com>. My Provider doesn't like Messages which come from me, but are sent over strange servers and don't even have my real name...

Why do you send those messages with the email-address of the users and can't you change it to a simple notification@wopr.com or noreply@wopr.com instead of myname@myaddress.com? I mean I could even tell ya that this is against every rule anyways cuz you fake the message header (I know it ain't really faking, but -hey- let's make it a lil' more drastically) which is not really kind [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

This topic might have come up before and I was too lazy to search, if so - just delete this message and leave me a private message or delete it right away and I'm gonna use the search function properly.

so long...
    Dennis

Thanks

Re: E-Mail Notification Address - Spam Problem

The real reason is that, believe it or not, some people try to reply to notifications of replies by, er.., replying.
    This was this simplest method to let those that did that know - the alternative being to either trash their reply or send a response which they might try replying to....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

yeah i know... lot's of people tend to do that [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] And all that replying just adds up to the traffic which surely is not wanted...
    would be nice to have some kind of a bounce-back address, which again leads to more traffic...

You're right that is kind of a nice way but still it would be nice to have some other address instead of my own there. I guess you have the Catch-All Function of your wopr.com Domain switched off, so that every mail sent to gibberish@wopr.com just gets trashed by the server and the user gets an error message saying that address does not exist. That would be no traffic for you.

I remember one official URL which was exactly for nonreply emails...

Anyhow I can see your point, just hoping you can see my point that many other boards just use a noreply@board.com address...

Have a nice day
    Dennis

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Does your provider permit you to whitelist these messages in your individual spam filter settings?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS