2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Insert File tries to send e-mail

When I try to insert a file (by using Insert > File) into a document, after I select a file to insert and click Open, an e-mail address window opens. The file I am trying to insert appears as an attachment to this uninvited e-mail message that has popped up out of nowhere. The e-mail icon lights up as if it has been selected, and clicking it gets rid of the address window, but my file never gets inserted. Any idea what's going on here? I'm using Word 2000 with NT 4. At home my Word 2000/WIndows ME system doesn't have this problem.
    George Tipton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert File tries to send e-mail

It is obvious that some global template has a macro called InsertFile which does what you describe, instead of the normal Word behaviour.

GO to Tools|Templates and Add-ins. You will see a box below the words, "Checked itesm are currently loaded".
    If there is any unfamiliar template, first uncheck that/those template(s). Close Word and open it again. Try InsertFile again, and see what happens.

If there is no unfamiliar template checked, it is time to suspect Normal.dot, which may have been virus affected. Close Word, find Normal.dot using Explorer and rename it to, say, Abnormal.dot. The open Word again. Try InsertFile again, and see what happens.

If that still hasn't worked, there is another option which I can then tell you about.

Cheers!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert File tries to send e-mail

There were no unfamiliar templates, but when I attached a different normal.dot the problem went away. Probably a virus like you said. Thanks for the help, Rajesh!!