5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Simple Question (2000)

If I rename tables and queries will the name change affect reports and other queries that the renamed tables and queries are used in? Will the name change automatically reflect in the queries and reports?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Simple Question (2000)

In general, no. If you change the name of a table, queries, forms and reports based on the table will not work anymore.

There is a new feature in Access 2000: Name AutoCorrect is supposed to propagate name changes, but it's flaky to say the least. I strongly recommend turning it off in the General tab of Tools | Options... (you have to do this for each individual database)

There are third-party utilities that do a good job of finding and replacing names and other text throughout a database: Rick Fisher's Find and Replace and Black Moshannon's SpeedFerret. Both will let you download a free evaluation copy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. Wanted to let you know that I used your Crosstab query (LLoraine <post#=432994>post 432994</post#> - with minor adjustments to my data) and it worked perfectly. I don't know how you figured out a solution from the information I gave you but I am forever in your debt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Umm, are you and Lloraine the same person?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I hope I didn't violate any rule. I joined from home because I forgot my password I used at work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No problem, there are other Loungers who log in under different names at work and at home.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

I understand reasons to keep Name AutoCorrect off in production application

If in development you want to change a few field names, is it safe to:

1. Turn Name AutoCorrect on
    2. Change field names
    2. Turn Name AutoCorrect off

Thanks, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strictly speaking, I don't know, since the first thing I do in every database I handle is to turn off Track Name AutoCorrect Info, never to turn it on again. I have installed Rick Fisher's Find and Replace, which works well for me, so I don't feel the need to use Name AutoCorrect.

One of the reported side effects of Name AutoCorrect is that it makes reports lose their page setup. I don't know if this would happen during the procedure you describe.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We routinely turn it off in 2000 as well, but I must confess that in 2002/2003 we do often leave it on during development and turn it off when we deploy. The feature does seem to be somewhat more robust in later versions. We do also use Speed Ferrett that Hans mentioned - they have a version that works with SQL Server, which is rather nifty.
    Wendell