2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restarting AutoNum (2003)

I'd like to restart AutoNum to "1" in the same document.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restarting AutoNum (2003)

As far as I know, the only way to restart the numbering for an AutoNum field is as described in the online help (this is for Word 2002):
    <hr>In paragraphs that are formatted with the built-in heading styles, Word restarts the numbering at 1 in each successive heading level. If headings that contain AUTONUM fields are followed by body text paragraphs that also contain AUTONUM fields, Word restarts the numbering of the body text at 1 after each heading. If the headings don't contain AUTONUM fields, body text paragraphs that contain AUTONUM fields are numbered in a continuous, sequential series throughout the document.<hr>
    There is no field switch for restarting the numbering.

For more flexible numbering, you may want to use the Seq field. It has various switches for restarting the numbering.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You should be able to right click on the number and choose 'Restart Numbering' - Does this not work?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is for numbering created using Bullets and Numbering (as direct formatting or through a style), not for numbering using field codes, as far as I know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans has pointed out that you are using the Autonum field rather than autonumbering so perhaps you can extend the information he provided to force the numbering to restart.

The simple fix is to include a (higher level) heading between which includes an autonum field - the following might apply if you specifically don't want visible numbers in the heading.

If you have a paragraph between the previously numbered paragraph and the paragraph where you want the numbering to restart you can include a hidden autonum field (either formatted hidden or set to white) and then set the paragraph attributes to have an outline level.

You might set the outline level for a paragraph automatically by applying one of the heading styles but you can also do it to another paragraph without changing its look by choosing Format > Paragraph and under the Indents and Spacing tab setting the Outline Level to Level 9.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good information. I think Seq numbering is my answer. I was looking for a field switch.
    Thanks