New Lounger
    Thanks

Clicking on Folder/shortcut => 'search results'

When I double-click on a folder or on a shortcut to a folder, instead of the Windows Explorer screen I get a "search results" screen. This happens on the desktop and from within Windows Explorer screens. Does anybody know what I need to do to get my Explorer screen back on double-click? Thanks in advance for your help!

Howard Yamaguchi

Thanks

Re: Clicking on Folder/shortcut => 'search results'

This is a guess, so you might want to sit tight and wait for a 2nd response, but if you follow the Explorer menus to Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types, you'll find "File Folder" is about one screen down (i.e., it's near the top of the list, rather than down with most of the F's). It may be that you can restore the normal double-click behavior by using this dialog.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, St333ve! I poked around and tinkered a bit in the area you suggested, but I really couldn't find antything that seemed to do the job. Oh, well! But thanks for your assistance! --- Howard

Thanks

If you go to Win Explorer and click on the "view" tab, explorer bar,
    is the search line checked instead of the folder line?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

When I check "search", close the Explorer window, and open Windows Explorer again or some other folder, they open to the folder view. Checking search the first time isn't sticky.

Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clicking on Folder/shortcut => 'search result

Bob, St333ve, and Fred:

Thanks again for your input. I checked all my shortcuts on the desktop, and sure enough, they had "Search" checked in the View | Explorer Bar menu. I tried checking the "Folders" item on them, then closing them, then re-opening them by double-clicking on the shortcuts. They still resulted in the search screen. A quick check confirmed that "Search" was still the checked item, not "folders." So what I did was, going back to St333ve's suggestion above, I went to Tools | Folder Options | File Types on Windows Explorer, and in "File Folder" file type, I added an "open" action (which was previously missing) with instructions to use Windows Explorer to perform that action. Now all my shortcuts open in the folders view of Explorer when I double-click them. I wish it would open with the folders panel enabled, but this is still a lot better than getting the search screen! Thanks all, for your help!

Thanks

If you add an /e parameter to the Explorer command line, it should open as a 2-pane window. By default (I believe), that's what happens when you choose "Explore" rather than "Open" from the right-click list.

My WinXP Pro registry settings include the following two (both of which are default settings, I think):

The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTFoldershellexplorecommand key has a (Default) value which is an expandable string value (REG_EXPAND_SZ), and its Data is %SystemRoot%Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%I,%L

The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTFoldershellopencommand key has a (Default) value which is an expandable string value (REG_EXPAND_SZ), and its Data is %SystemRoot%Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, st3333ve! I'll see if I can tinker with this some more! I appreciate all the help you've given me!

Howard