3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Banish folders for '_files' (WinXP Pro)

When I view files and folder, usually in the "details" view, I get the .html file showing up but also see a folder with the same name and with '_files' appended. This is a nuisance but I can't see a way to hide these folders. Does anyone know how to do this?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Banish folders for '_files' (WinXP Pro)

If you save an HTML page to disk, the HTML file itself is just a text file. All images are saved as separate files in a subfolder with the same name with _files appended. I don't think it would be a good idea to hide this folder. For example, if you move the HTML file to another folder without moving the subfolder too, the HTML page will not be displayed correctly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - that is the problem. The folder needs to stay associated with it's web page, so I can' do anything with it.
    I just don't like them cluttering up my view. (Maybe I will try setting the folder to 'hidden' and see what happens...)

Thanks

I've been bugged by the same thing. And, to add insult to injury, if you go to Tools-->Folder Options-->View (in Explorer), there's a "Managing pairs of web pages and folders" setting, and one of the 3 options is "Show and manage the pair as a single file" -- but if selecting this option causes any kind of change in Explorer's behavior, I haven't been able to detect it. It certainly doesn't do what you and I would like it to do.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did have a go at setting the properties of the folder to 'hidden' but this just showed up as greyed out icon. Your internet explorer option may not affect the desktop, or windows opened via 'my documents' etc.

EDITED TO INCLUDE:-
    The trick is to set the Tools>Folder Options>View to indicate 'do not show hidden files and folders' which hides the grayed out icon of a hidden folder. You can move the webpage and the hidden folder goes with it. The webpage can find the image file in the hidden folder.

Is there a way to set the folder to 'hidden' by default?