2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access security (2002 SP-2)

I have a one-man mail order business. I have a database of customers, which includes maybe 900 credit card numbers, on my desktop computer. I connect to the internet via dailup, and I have the Windows XP SP-2 firewall activated. I'm wondering what I should be doing to keep these credit card numbers secure. There's no danger of someone here physically stealing the numbers because there is only me here. But could someone hack into my computer via the net and view those numbers? What should I be doing to prevent that?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access security (2002 SP-2)

I agree with Hans' assessment. You biggest risk is some sort of spyware or malware that installs on your PC and sends info out to another computer, or someone physically stealing your PC. Unfortunately, Access User Security doesn't help you all that much unless you give yourself a password that you have to type each time you start the database. If you do that and make the password fairly hard to break, then it might be worth your while, but setting up a fully secured Access database isn't a trivial task - the first document referenced in our tutorial lays out the steps in detail, and you have to follow them exactly to be successful.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Windows XP SP2 firewall is better than its predecessor, but it only protects you against incoming traffic. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic; this can be a problem if your PC has been infected with malware/spyware. Third party firewalls do a better job. See Jefferson Scher's star post <!post=Software Firewall: Why use it / Where to get it,407306>Software Firewall: Why use it / Where to get it<!/post>.

If somebody would (physically) steal your PC, the data would be accessible to the thief. You might consider applying user-level security. See WendellB's tutorial The Secrets of Security. It gives a brief overview and contains many useful links.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if I shouldn't just delete the credit card numbers. I almost never look at them, except to double check on a reorder.
    Clark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the end, it is up to you to decide which information is essential for your business. If your database contains other sensitive information besides credit card numbers, you might consider tightening security anyway.