Thread: Install fails

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install fails

Little problem with my VB5 app: when I install it on another PC (using the Setup prog created by App Setup Wizard), the program fails on startup with:
    "ActiveX Component can't create object"
    The form contains a treeview and listview, and I'm guessing it has something to do with that and the message I get from App Setup Wizard, which complains that DAO360.DLL and COMCTL32.OCX have 'missing dependencies' - whatever that means.

Unfortunately, I'm away from home so I can't check the things I usually check... and I need to return to my customers on Monday, ideally with a fixed version.

Ideas? (Many thanks in anticipation)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install fails

It means you may not be able to complete your setup on that machine. DAO360.dll is the Access2000/VB6 DAO library. I wouldn't expect it to be present in a VB5 setup, which would ordinarily use DAO350.dll. Go into the program project and check the references to see what is MISSING and try substituting an alternate library. If your machine runs a different version of VB from that on your office machine, it may be an issue of version conflicts. The common controls with VB6 are not entirely compatible with VB5.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install fails

Irony alert: I've just got VB6 last week, but deferred installing it in case it broke my app in the couple of days I had before travelling away to my customers. I suspect the wise thing to do is not to try solving this problem, but to install VB6 when I get home and start again on an installation, which I can test to destruction on various PCs before sending my customer a CD.

This is what comes of trying to be clever, writing an app in two bits: VB5/DAO and Ac2000/ADO [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help.