3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveX control with no licence (XP)

I am adding to a database that was developed in Access 97 and hase since been upgraded to XP.

on an exisiting form i want to add a command button that will allow the user to browse to a file to select for further processing. I have added the command button and am now trying to add a common dialog control on the form to allow the user to browse for the file. as soon as i try to drop the control on the form i get a popup saying
    You dont have the license required to use this activex control.

i have tried to register the comdlg32.ocx via Tools | ActiveX Controls ... | Microsoft Common Dialog Control and the file is in the correct location.

I am still getting the unlicensed error though.

how can i get around this please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ActiveX control with no licence (XP)

I don't know how to solve the problem with the .ocx, but I can offer two alternatives:

Access 2002 has a new FileDialog object that has the same functionality as the common dialog control.

You can download a database from <post#=304810>post 304810</post#> that contains code for the Open and Save As dialogs. The code uses Windows API calls instead of an ActiveX control. It will work on any Windows PC.

Unfortunately, both would require you to modify your existing form and code.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You won't be able to solve the problem with that ocx. Access 97 was based on VB5, while Access XP is based on VB6. The VB5 and VB6 versions of that control are not compatible, so you're going to have to change something. I prefer to use the API calls for this and avoid the common dialog control in Access entirely.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

got it working now, thanks Hans and Charlotte.