2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

profiles (XP Pro)

Just a note to those having slow loading networked computers. Profiles can become huge from downloading things to the desktop and not keeping up on your temp files. To see what size your profile is do the following. Right click on my computer ---> Properties----> Advanced tab ------> User Profiles. When I looked at mine it was up to 2 GIG [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] I did some cleaninig up and now I do not have to wait 10 years for my profile to load. Just a helping note as this was a frustrating mess.

[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: profiles (XP Pro)

There's a good case for moving Temporary Internet Files out of your Profile and onto the local hard disk somewhere. They are supposed to optimise access, not to make more work!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just by doing a temp file and tem internet file clean up will help.

The history is also included here, as well as My Documents and any other folder listed in the "Documents and settings" folder for each user account.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I did some cleaninig up

19.2 MB right now.

Any basic tips on "cleaning up" for an XP rookie? I noticed that loogged on as Chris Greaves i had an option to delete the Admin profile (2.32MB) but not the Chris Greaves profile.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

I would avoid deleting profiles, unless you are also deleting the corresponding user account. If you do this then next time that user logs on all their files and settings will have been lost.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping the profile size down is only useful if you're on a network with roaming profiles - each time you log on or off, your entire profile (except for Local Settings) has to be synchronized with the copy kept on the network server. So the larger your profile is, the longer it will take to log on and off. If you're not on a network, it isn't particularly necessary to keep the size of your profile down - there is no synchronizing going on, so its size doesn't matter.

Note for network users: don't store files (documents etc.) on your desktop permanently, only shortcuts (shortcuts are very small). The desktop is part of the profile. I've seen users complaining that logging in to the network took ages; it turned out that they had gigabytes of files placed on their desktop!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I would avoid deleting profiles

Thanks Stuart. This is my first installation with both an "Administrator" and "me". I got confused with the logon screen at one stage, and that was once enough ("All my stuff is gone !!!!!").

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> only useful if you're on a network with roaming profiles

Thanks Hans. I'm anchored to this desk, this chair, this computer and, apparently, this life. The cat sleeps on the radio. We never move.
    Today could be the only day in my life, ever, that I looked at profiles (grin!)