3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spell check error (Excel 2002)

We have some workbooks, which were created from a template that we designed. We have several places where the cells have been merged to accommodate paragraphs of information. When we spell check the worksheet, it appears that the words are not being replaced and then we get a message that the Formula is too long. There are only a few very simple formulas in the worksheet. So we are a little confused.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spell check error (Excel 2002)

I can't find anything about this, and a small test (Excel 2002 SP-3) didn't turn up problems, but that is not conclusive. Could you attach a workbook that illustrates the problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried replicating the problem on a couple other computers, but the spell checking works just fine. Is it possible that there are too many entries in the custom dictionary? or that the dictionary is corrupt?

We had the user run Detect and Repair.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I found some newsgroup posts that mention a limit of about 900 characters in a cell above which spell checking won't work any more. The workbook you attached stays well below that limit, and I had no problems spell checking it. I entered extra text in a cell to increase the character count to almost 1,000 and that caused the "formula too long" error message.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there some place within Excel where the threshold for spell check limit can be set? If you needed to increase the amount of text to get the message, maybe on my user's computer the maximum number of characters has been changed somehow.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, this is not a setting that can be changed by the user.

Wouldn't Microsoft Word be more suitable for a document that consists mostly of text? The workbook you attached uses no Excel-specific features as far as I can see.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do agree that the document is more suitable in word processing, but this form is part of many which in some cases are completed using a tablet PC. Word tables don't work too well on the tablet PC we are using. Therefore all the construction forms were created in Excel.

Do you have any idea why this one user has a problem with the spell checker?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not really. Does this user have sufficient memory? Does the problem also occur if there are no other applications active?