2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Browser window keeps closing (IE 6)

Hello, I don't know what is happening but my browser window keeps coming up with that, I'm sure well known to most people, window telling me that "Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close...." That actually happens mostly when I'm trying to log on to Yahoo mail. Should I bother sending an error report or just ignore it?? Have done both. It just happened to me 3 times within maybe 15 min. If I have other windows open being on a different site, they don't seem to close, so basically I'm still connected to the Internet. I'm working in WinXP, and embarrassed to say, still on Dial Up:-(((( In any rate, does anyone have an answer to my question as to why this keeps happening? It's soooo frustrating. Thank you very much for your help, Tira

Thanks

Re: Browser window keeps closing (IE 6)

I don't use Yahoo! mail but can I assume that there are advertisements? Some "rich" advertising uses Java, JavaScript, or ActiveX, any of which can cause severe browser issues if there are errors in the coding or mistaken assumptions about what's on your system. One thing to try would be to use an ad blocker to block the ads on that page. If you don't already have that kind of software, you could take a few steps to limit what runs in the browser by requiring that you be prompted before ActiveX or Java program run. (This requires customizing security, Tools>Internet Options...>Security, highlight the "zone" that Yahoo opens in, then click Custom Level...).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is advertisement but I do have a pop up blocker and don't really get any, at least not when I'm on yahoo. Would yahoo be in the "Internet" zone or "Trusted Sites"?? I changed the things you mentioned to prompt me of should I just disable them? I appreciate your help, thank you very much. Tira

Thanks

Yahoo will be in the Trusted Sites zone only if you put it there. So... unless you remember doing that, it's probably in the Internet zone.

You might find it inconvenient to completely disable the "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" option in the internet zone. All sites using Flash require it. (This makes it inconvenient to Prompt, also... but that's another story.) Many fewer sites use Java, so you might get away with Disable under Microsoft VM/Java permissions as your general setting (I think I use "High Safety," whatever that means).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I changed it. Now, however, I get "Your current security settings prohibit running active x control on this page. as a result the page may not display correctly". I'm guessing that I can't avoid this, can I? It comes up ALL THE TIME:-(((( Thanks, Tira

Thanks

I'm sorry! But maybe we've determined that some ActiveX control was the problem? Since Flash is the most common, maybe go to Macromedia.com and update your Flash viewer just in case you have a buggy one. (You'll need to re-enable ActiveX while visiting there in order to do that. Or put macromedia.com into your Trusted Sites list.) After that, someone would have to check the actual HTML code to determine exactly what is getting run when you try to check your mail.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I made another change and now it works, well, for now anyway. Thanks again for all your help. Tira