Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

IE6, No pictures

I just upgraded to IE6 in an effort to eliminate a problem with 5.5. Turns out, I've created a problem!

90% of web pages do not load the pictures / graphics. Instead, I get the little white boxes with the red "X". I can right click on the spot and choose "Show picture" and then it will load.

Why will it not load properly from the get go. Am I missing a secret setting?

I just found that holding the mouse pointer over a particular area on the screen will sometimes help the graphic to load - but this comes after the page has finished loading!

If it's not one thing - it's a hundred and one.
    - Ricky

Thanks

Re: IE6, No pictures

Did you have Web Accessories installed with IE5?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure I did - I am typically the one who adds any and all gadgets / upgrades.
    - Ricky

Thanks

OK - check out:
    Q223050 Web Accessories Functionality Turns Off Image Downloading

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The [show pictures] checkbox in Options|Advanced was and remains checked. So that wasn't it.

I do not have the toggle switch on my links toolbar so maybe I do not have web accs installed. I checked ADD/Remove programs and it's not listed there.

Must be something else. Maybe I should install/reinstall web accs so I do have the toggle switch for loading images?
    - Ricky

Thanks

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.
    If you can leave it for a day or two, it may pay to see if anyone else has some ideas.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, I appreciate your help today. I am flipping thru the Microsoft site for ideas. Probably just need to reboot, doesn't that fix everything?

Ricky
    - Ricky

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are getting some graphics I would say that there was a problem with the site. Have you tried a different browser or computer to see if you have the same problem?

I have been running IE 6.0 on by beta machine and do not have any problems.

Another thing you might try, go to Control Panel, Add/ Remove Programs, select MS IE 6.0 and do a repair?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I know for sure it's not site problems. Even this site does not load the smileys or the folder icons to the left of peoples names.

I tried the repair utility and naturally it did not work. Error msg. said problem with older version of COOL.dll ??

I'm going to re-download and re-install ie6, i guess!

Thanks Dave.
    - Ricky

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same problem, but it has been with me since IE 5.01 and remained after every upgrade all the way up to IE 6.0. It was so bad I rebuilt my whole machine and whatever I did before, I did it again. I have noticed some patterns though, it seems to happen to me mostly from my favorites and not if I type the URL directly, but this is not always the case. I also sometimes get page not found errors when there should not be those errors. I can resolve both the non loading pictures and the page not found error by going to Tools/Int Options/Advanced Tab and either checking or unchecking the 'Move system caret with focus/selection changes' box under Accessibilty options. Then hit refresh and the page displays. I have had zero success diagnosis and solving this problem. It only happens to my PC at work, running W2K SP1 and now SP2.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have just cpmpleted a new download of ie6 and reinstall, but it has the same problems. Hardly any page will fully load, leaving little red "x"'s all over the screen. The graphics will come but only after you right-click and beg! The problem does have some randomness to it - but it IS a problem 90% of the time and it is the exception when a page fully loads. My next step is to chunk the PC out the window or attempt to revert back to 5.5 where I had not this problem!
    - Ricky

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

A related (or unrelated) problem: I'm sure this belongs in another department and I'll probably put it there...

At the time I installed ie6, it also upgrades Outlook Express. In my main window of OE, I have columns set for Attachments, From, Received and Subject. On almost (random) every new message, it leaves a blank spot in The From or Subject column. Weird, huh? It is leaving these items blank when there is clearly info in the preview pane header that should have been used in those spots.

Anyone had this experience?
    - Ricky

Thanks

I know this tip at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/subd/tip1700/rh1707.htm>JSI</A> refers to IE5, but may be worth checking.

Lounger
    Thanks

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. Each time it happens (most pages) I check view:encoding and find that Western European ISO is checked instead of Western European Windows. When I check Western European Windows, the page reloads correctly. But the next page it starts all over again. How to make the browser read the encoding correctly?? Netscape is not doing this, so it's not the sites.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

We found the problem is frequently related to Security settings in Norton's Internet Security program. Do all of you users that are having problems with images use NIS? If so, set Internet Security to Medium or Low and see if the Problem goes away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast