Thread: can't open it

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

can't open it

Hi,

I'm posting this on the Windows lounge altho one might suggest Office or Excel as alternatives. I don't have problems with a cross-posting if the powers-to-be think it appropriate.

This is Excel 97 on Windows 98 and has to do with opening an Excel worksheet.

As we know, there are several ways to open a file:
    1. open the program and navigate to the file in File | Open
    2. choose the file from the recently-used list
    3. having the program open with no document and opening the file from Explorer (by either double-clicking the file or right clicking + Open)
    4. not having the program open and doing the same as #3 which is the way I usually do it so that's why I'm concerned.

Until yesterday, all the ways worked on my PC. Yesterday, approach #4 stopped working for an Excel file I needed to update. A test showed that 1-3 still worked. The test also showed that a word document worked with 1-4.

The path for the file is:
    E:Fred's StuffBCUG Vendor RelationsAuctionauctn01.xls

There are 4 error msgs that pop up when trying #4 for opening:
    1. "E:Fred's.xls" could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename and verify that the file location is correct.
    2. "stuffbcug.xls" could not be found. Check...
    3. "vendor.xls" could not be found. Check...
    4. "relationsauctionauctn01.xls" could not be found. Check...

Error msgs 1-4 seem to relate to some erroneous parsing of the path name.

I've tried other .xls files around my C, D, E drive and get similar results. I've checked the file association for .xls and it appears OK. However, one test of a .xlt (excel template) works OK when using approach #4 for opening.

However, when all the error msgs are finished, the desired file and Excel are open. Small price to pay? No - too high.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't open it

Bring up Windows Explorer and select "Folder Options" from the tools menu. Click on the "File Types" tab and then scroll the list down until you find "Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet". Select that and click on the Edit Button. In the Actions list click on Open and then click the Edit button below it. If the "Use DDE" box in the resulting dialog box is checked, then make sure the DDE message looks like this (with the quotes around the %1):

<pre>[open("%1")]
    </pre>

If the "Use DDE" box is not checked, then make user that the %1 at the end of the Application to perform task has double quotes around it.
    Legare Coleman

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Legare,

Thks for the reply but no good. Excel worksheets do use DDE on that PC and the [open...] is exactly as you have it.

I would have thought that the 4 err msgs might have been a hint since there is clearly corruption in what Windows is trying to parse when opening the sheet (which is why I included the correct path and the err msgs in my orig post).

I could also have mentioned that when I tried to open the sheet (and Excel) the day before that either Windows would hang or that I recall getting some other type of err msg that seemed to indicate that some resource could not be found. However, when I went back to recreate the problem, this did not happen (so I didn't report this). The sequence I described was repeatable.

On a separate but related item: the message that the Lounge Bot sent directly to me with your reply ended with:
    "click on the Edit Button."
    followed with a space and then your name. It was only in the Lounge itself that I saw your entire msg. I don't recall replies ever being truncated.

Fred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Fred's Stuff... has a space in it. Try renaming it without any spaces, or enclose the whole path in " " when associating the file-type.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The four error messages are because Excel is not handling long file names with blanks in them correctly. That is what the double quotes was supposed to fix. Two other things to check.

1- Go back to the same place (unfortunately I am on a company PC that is locked down at the moment and can't look to see what the windows are named) and make sure that the box where the "Program to perform this action" does not have a %1 on the end of it. That could also cause this problem, but if DDE is selected, the workbook should open after the error messages.

2- There is also a bug or change in the Registry that can cause this symptom that I think I remember seeing someplace. Look in the MS Knowledgebase and see if you can find something there.
    Legare Coleman

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

Thks for the help.

Another thing I should mention is that the exact path except for the drive was working until "recently". We had used Partition Magic to reorg our hard disks about 1-2 months ago. So, the current path used to be on a G or H drive. But the rest of the path, with "Fred's Stuff..." was exactly the same. This is probably the first time I've tried accessing the file since we reorg'd the hard disks.

So that may be a clue. Otherwise, everything used to work fine. My next stop will be the MSKB.

Fred