Lounger
    Thanks

Selection position in Reviewing Pane? (Word XP)

I tried to get the selection position when the focus is in the reviewing pane with the Selection object. Suprisingly I found that the object returned is the Selection in the main text. Accroding to the document from MS, every pane of every window of every document has a Selection, but what I get from its API is something else. More interestingly, the "Active" attribute of this Selection is False. You can try it with the following macro:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub CommentPos
    MsgBox "Pos="+Str(ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.ActivePane. Selection.Start)
    MsgBox "Story="+Str(ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.ActivePan e.Selection.StoryType)
    MsgBox "Active="+Str(ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.ActivePa ne.Selection.Active)
    End Sub
    -----------------------------------------------------

If you place the caret in the reviewing pane and run this macro, you will find all information displayed is for the main text story.

But I do need the selection position in the Reviewing Pane. Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Thx

Thanks

Re: Selection position in Reviewing Pane? (Word XP

Good grief, I get False for this (in the Immediate window):

?selection.Information(wdInCommentPane)

What have they done?! I think this must have broken some Word 97-2000 code. Perhaps there are solutions out there on the web or in usenet news?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Reviewing Pane is not the same as the Comment Pane. The latter is still available through WordBasic.InsertAnnotation. If you do that, Selection.Information(wdInCommentPane) will return True, and mandelbrot's macro will display information relating to the selection position in the comment pane.

The developers clearly hadn't gotten around to integrating the new Reviewing Pane into Visual Basic for Word 2002. I don't have Word 2003, so I don't know if it's better there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is no different in Word 2003 SP1

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for investigating. I fear that the developers are losing control over the Word VBA object model. There are several things that used to work, but don't any more (at least not correctly) in recent versions, and support for new features such as the task panes is meagre.

Lounger
    Thanks

I also noticed that the old comment pane appears when I created the comment with VBA. Although this pane looks slightly different from the comment pane in Word 2000, the Selection object still works. But this pane only appears while a comment is created in this way. In other cases, I always get the new reviewing pane. It seems that MS is interested in producing fancy features rather than making them stable.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MS is not the only company guilty of that, I guess.

But all this hasn't brought us closer to a solution to your problem. I fear that the position of the selection in the Reviewing pane is not available to VBA. Word must keep track of it internally, of course, but I don't see a way to get at this information.