New Lounger
    Thanks

Save emails showing attachments when reopened (Outlook 2003)

Hello I have used the search function to try and see if this has been discussed before but have been unable to find anything on this. If it has appeared before my apologies and could you please point me in the right direction to find it so as not to waste anyones time further.
    The problem I have is twofold.
    I used to be able to save my e-mails in windows explorer folders when using Office XP pro (using file save as ) so that when the e-mail was reopened at a later date the attachments were shown and could be opened and accessed. Also when I sent an e-mail with attachments and saved it into the windows explorer folders (again using file save as) it would show that a certain file was attached to the e-mail and sent.
    Thereby I always had access to the original saved e-mail attachments as proof of receipt and of the changes I had made to the file and also as proof that a certain file was sent.
    Now I am using Outlook 2003 via small business server and none of the above now happens.
    That is when I save an incoming e-mail the attachment is now no longer saved with the e-mail and there is no evidence in the saved e-mail that the attachment was ever received. Similarly when I send an attachment there is no evidence when the e-mail is saved that an attachment was ever sent.
    If anyone could assist me in trying to get back to the original position when using office XP, which shows the attachments received and sent (without uninstalling 2003 and re-installing XP which a friend suggested I do) that would be greatly appreciated.
    My computer man has spent many hours trying to find the problem or a solution but has been unsuccessful.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save emails showing attachments when reopened

From the sound of it, you have switched from Outlook XP, as a stand-alone e-mail client, to using Small Business Server 2003 - which has Exchange 2003 built in. Your new set-up would therefore no longer be a stand-alone client. In other words, it seems that your whole system of receiving e-mails has changed and that is the root of your issues. You would need to see whether you can reconfigure the Exchange Server to achieve what you are attempting. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save emails showing attachments when reopened (Outlook 2003)

The result you get re an attachment when doing a "save as" depends on the message format. If the message is RTF, the attachment is imbedded in the saved rtf file. With txt or HTML, there should be a reference to the file though not a link to the attachments. This was a problem in the original release of Outlook 2003 - no reference to the attachment at all. (By the way, this same problem happens when you print an email.) This problem was fixed in SP1.

Thanks

If you save as .MSG, the format created when you drag and drop from Outlook to the file system (e.g., to the desktop), you usually get everything. With other standard formats (.TXT, .HTML), I would not expect the attachments to tag along. Not sure about .RTF.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Unkamunka

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct we have moved from a stand alone to a SBS. I will try and explain same to my computer guy but I don't think he knows the answer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save emails showing attachments when reopened (Outlook 2003)

Hello Darryl

Thank you for your reply.

We have installed SP1 but this does not appear to have fixed the problem. I will try and see whether it has been installed fully/properly.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Jscher2000

Thank you for your reply

I have tried saving in message format and it appears to save the attachment when receiving emails and the notation of an attachment when sending. Changes icon to yellow envelope so looks like a folder a bit, but at least achieves what we are trying to do. Only difficulty is that you have to remember to change the format to MSG, which requires an extra process for everyone to do, and consequently the chance of it not happening is greater and therefore the attachment or notation is not saved.

Is there perhaps an easy way to ensure all emails are saved as MSG format so that employees do not have to remember to change the format style and thereby setting a rule for consistency and to ensure all attachments are trapped.

Thanks

> Is there perhaps an easy way to ensure all emails are saved as MSG format ...

Other than drag and drop, which doesn't work when Outlook is maximized, I'm not aware of one. I suspect that Outlook will always default to the message body's format when it suggests the file type. That makes sense in a lot of contexts, but not for your situation. I suppose it might be possible to write a macro to do it...