Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Maxtor drives: Are there reports of problems?

In the Dell newsgroup, I am seeing discussions stating that DEll has stopped using the Diamondmax drives for reliability problems.

What's the best source of info on these reports?

I've got 2 Quantum SCSI and 2 Maxtor external USB drives with, so far, no problems.
    Not sure what drives are actually in the USB drives.

Thanks

Re: Maxtor drives: Are there reports of problems?

The "best" sources would be Dell or Maxtor themselves.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Maxtor drives: Are there reports of problems?

I would not rule out Maxtor drives entirely just because Dell reports a problem - not unless the problems reported are with all types and sizes - that is across their entire line. Problems with ATA drives does not mean problems with SATA or SCSI drives.

What are the problems noted? If platters have bad sectors, that may be an issue as I suspect platters are used across many lines. And if workmanship is an issue, that would certainly be a problem. But if ATA controllers are having problems, that may not affect quality of SATA or SCSI.

Still, that fact that problems are being noted is something to watch out for and I think bringing it up here is a good thing. Having said that, I use Maxtor a great deal (not on Dell's scale, of course, but a few hundred over the years) and I have not seen Maxtor fail any more so than Seagate or WD - so far. Nor have I seen problems noted in other forums I visit.

Of course - all that does is cry out for a good backup system in place and - here's the tricky part - used frequently.

This is also why nearly all the system I build now use at least RAID(1) - mirror - drives are cheap, after all - compared to the data on them!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────