3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find/Replace function (2000/SR-1)

I have a Word document that contains about 200 email addresses (in addition to other data). What is the easiest way to isolate and copy the email addresses to another document without copying/pasting each one individually?

Thanks.
    Pooja

Thanks

Re: Find/Replace function (2000/SR-1)

Culling or harvesting e-mail addresses from documents is something that has been discussed before, but unfortunately I can't remember where I've read about it. I believe the general principle was to find the pattern "words@words" and that the complexity depends on what else might precede or follow the address--e.g., ( ) , ; . and so on. Have you tried a search on our Word and VB/VBA boards? Hopefully that will turn up something useful.

Or, if your text is "structured" in any database-like way, there are ways to convert it to a table, or enable rectangular selection, that would speed up copy-and-paste (from individual items to large chunks).

Oh, and if Word converted the e-mail addresses to hyperlinks, that could be used to identify them in a macro.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As a follow-up to what Jefferson suggested, you might find an expression that will find your email addresses & place that in a macro. Then you could add something like:

NormalTemplate.AutoTextEntries.AppendToSpike Range:=Selection.Range

& do a loop. The macro would go through the document & cut each email address to the spike. You could place it in another document by typing "spike" (no quotes) & pressing F3. Or you could insert & empty the spike by simply pressing Ctrl+Shift+F3 without typing anything. If you do this, make sure that you do this on a COPY of the document! If something goes wrong, you don't want to lose all your addresses.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both! The text is not structured in any specific order so I can't use tables etc. I'll try the other suggestions and see what happens..... [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Pooja

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This expression should find all email addresses using Edit|Find & with Use wildcards checked:

<[a-zA-Z0-9_.]{1,}@[a-zA-Z0-9_.]{1,}.???>

If there is some punctuation besides a period or underscore in the addresses, you should add them to the first & second expression inside the brackets.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you again! I'll try it and let you know if it works!

Pooja