2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

advanced filter/uniique records only (xp-sp2)

Hi All

In my spreadsheet, column C contains names, some of which are duplicates.
    I've clicked on a cell in column C. Then did Data-Filter-Advanced Filter. Chose Filter in Place and checked Unique Records Only but duplicates are still showing.
    Any help as to why it's not working/what steps I've skipped would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: advanced filter/uniique records only (xp-sp2)

Could there be invisible differences? For example, trailing spaces after some of the names? Excel considers <code>"Nancy "</code> to be different from <code>"Nancy"</code>. Also, the non-breaking space Alt+0160 is different from the normal space.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No invisible differences - this was imported from a text file. They are center-aligned, if that makes any difference.
    I'm not sure what you mean by non-breaking space.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It worked when I deleted all the columns after column C.
    Then after I do the filter, I undo and the deleted columns come back.
    I don't remember doing that last time but seems to work fine.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The character with ASCII/ANSI code 160 looks like a space, but in cells with "wrap text" turned on, the text will not begin a new line after such a space. That's why it's called a non-breaking space: a line won't break there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you click on a cell in column C, the advanced filter will automatically include neighboring columns to determine what unique records are.

If you select column C, or the used range in column C, the advanced filter will warn you; if you then click Yes, it will ignore neighboring columns. So you can avoid deleting and restoring columns.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Nancy

This has been a problem close to my heart recently as I was doing a major clean up of some very old data. The problem occurred when I had to copy a swathe of information from an excel spreadsheet to a txt file. What I found was a "hidden" ascii character came accross with it (don't ask me which one as it is still a mystery).

I have been playing with this as these "hidden" characters don't always come apparent. To see if they are there try putting in =len (A1) in an adjacent cell (assuming the string is in A1) and see if its length corresponds with the length that is visible. If not try using =trim (A1), this will get rid of any superfluous data in front and behind the string.

Give me a shout as I am having a quiet day, pre-Christmas and have got time on my hands.
    Jerry