New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting Page Numbers to 'One', 'Two...' (Word 2002, SP3)

In the header, I want to insert the page number, but I want it to read as text, instead of a number. That is, I'd like to read "Two," instead of "2."

Any way to do it? I've looked through Word Help, the toolbars, and did a search of this forum.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting Page Numbers to 'One', 'Two...' (Word 2002, SP3)

Select View | Header and Footer.
    Position the insertion point where you want the page number.
    Press Ctr+F9 to insert field brackets { } (don't type the brackets yourself)
    Between the brackets, type

<code>page * cardtext * firstcap</code>

Right-click somewhere between the brackets.
    Select Toggle Field Codes from the popup menu.

The formatting switch * cardtext tells Word to spell out the number, and * firstcap to make the first letter upper case.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, didn't work. I typed exactly what you said between the brackets. When I select Toggle, the brackets and contents disappear. What am I doing wrong?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you must update the field by pressing F9 (although that isn't necessary for me).

What do you see when you open the attached document?
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have to go and can't look at this until tomorrow morning, when I'll pick it up again, but in your doc, I see the header page number spelled out as "one," just as I'd like.

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. But, when and how do I update field by pressing F9?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Updating the field shouldn't be necessary, but you can do it as follows:
    - Select View | Header and Footer.
    - Press Ctrl+A to select everthing in the header.
    - Press F9 to update fields.
    You can also copy the field from the document I attached and paste it into your document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You know what, I think I figured out the problem: there are spaces surrounding the * in your code, right? Before, I didn't type the spaces. Now that I have, I then right click in the field, select Update Field, and it does what I want (presents "one" instead of "1.")

I'm away from the office at the moment, working on a different doc, and a different version of Word, as a matter of fact, but I'll try it out tomorrow morning on the doc in question, and let you know.

Thanks a mil.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, there should be at least one space before the * switch, otherwise Word won't recognize the "page" field code. You don't need to put a space after * although I prefer to do so for readability.

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Prob: Style overrides fonts.

You're a king, the page number question works wonderfully. However, another problem crops up from time to time. I've got some documents I use as templates. For some of them, when I try to change the font, for example, in a text box, all the fonts in the list disappear except for the one already being used.

This happened again just now when I tried to cut and paste your code for the page number in my document. You were using a courier font, and I wanted to change to Times, but only courier was shown as existing!

When this happens, I have to reboot the computer. Closing and opening Word again doesn't work. In addition, if the problem crops up, it's applied to all other Word docs, open, or those I open after and try to change.

I think this problem has to do with Styles overriding something, but am not sure. Any ideas? And any ideas on how to fix the problem without a complete reboot?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Prob: Style overrides fonts.

I don't think this has anything to do with styles. The list of fonts should always show all fonts, not just the selected one.

It might be a resources problem (too little memory available for Word), or you might have too many fonts installed, that is known to cause odd problems. How much memory does your PC have? How many fonts are there in the C:WindowsFonts folder?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that was my first suspicion too. 128 MB RAM. 1042 fonts. But a tech guy here at the office kind of mumbled something about "styles overriding..." something. He said there was plenty of RAM.

Remember, this only happens with certain docs that are using fields and/or text boxes, things like that. Maybe it's the large number of fonts. Dunno.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which operating system? If you'r running on Windows 98, ME or NT, 128 MB would probably be OK, on Windows 2000 it's barely adequate, and on Windows XP it's way too little.

1042 fonts is a lot. Try moving a considerable fraction to another folder temporarily (take are to leave the standard Windows fonts) to see if the problem goes away.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98. I will try your suggestion, if problem persists. You're a big hit in the office here, with your page numbers advice. Talk to you later.