Lounger
    Thanks

Access front-end with SQL Back-end (Access 2000 & SQL Server 2000)

I have been approached by a client how is currently running an Access (2000) front-end with a SQL Server (2000) Back-end. They are looking to increase the number of Users to 50 and I wondered if anyone has experience of running this volume of users on an Access front-end/SQL back-end? I appreciate volume of data and hardware issues will be a factor, but is anyone aware of any other performance issues with this number of users?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access front-end with SQL Back-end (Access 2000 & SQL Server 2000)

There are numerous factors to consider in determining whether that configuration will work. But before I launch into that, I should add that we have clients running as many as 200 workstations connected to a SQL Server database, so it is possible.

Now on with the factors:<UL><LI>The performance of the server where SQL Server runs (processor, memory, hard drive speed)
    <LI>LAN speed - 10Mbit can be slow, 100Mbit desirable
    <LI>Deployment of the front-end Access mdb or mde file to individual workstations - always desirable
    <LI>Type of activity - heads down data entry versus occasional queries
    <LI>Design of SQL Server database - is it well normalized, does it have the proper indexes, what access method is used (ODBC?)
    <LI>Workstation hardware and software - memory, processor speed, disk speed and space[/list]The are other minor factors as well, but I think these are the big ones. If you have specific concerns, please post back with the details.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access front-end with SQL Back-end (Access 2000 & SQL Server 2000)

Thanks Wendell, will look into this further.