2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spyware Blaster Question

After doing a bit of reading on this fine site, I understood that I should have Spyware Blaster installed on my system which I promptly did. Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does this little program do it's job? Is there somewhere in the program that I prompt it to "run" a scan of sorts? I'm just not getting how it is protecting me from getting any adware/spyware. I make sure I do the updates regularly but I don't quite know how/if it's working. Could anyone enlighten me on this?
    Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spyware Blaster Question

SpywareBlaster is different from programs such as AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. It does not remove spyware etc. from your PC. When you run it and enable protection, it modifies security settings (mainly in the Windows Registry) on your PC in such a way that a large number of malware/adware/spyware applications won't be able to install themselves on your computer, and/or won't be able to run. SpywareBlaster can be closed after it has done this; your computer will remain protected. The only thing you have to do is run it from time to time (say once a week) to check if there are updates - its library of known threats it frequently expanded and updated. Once you have downloaded the latest update and enabled it, you can close SpywareBlaster again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans. That makes perfect sense the way you explained it. I guess I'm just conditioned to "run" programs or perform "scans" so I wondered why I didn't have to do anything with this program. I'm now enlightened!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to look a little deeper, run Regedit then drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerActiveX Compatibility
    There you'll see all of the "override" keys SpywareBlaster has inserted to prevent various ActiveX malware for doing its nefarious stuff.

Alan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Alan. I wonder if I'm actually seeing Spyware Blaster do it's job when this happens: I have noticed that while I am on the internet lately, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen that normally indicates that a page is loading will flicker quite quickly from time to time (as I'm typing this it's happened twice). Does this have anything to do with this program?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If this happens while you're in the Lounge, it's probably the Google Ads at the bottom of the page being refreshed - they are being updated about every 45 seconds.

There is no "visible" action by SpywareBlaster. It does not have a component that stays in memory after you close the application.