Thanks

Sygate firewall / Win XP

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall (as recommended in the Lounge) and Windows XP SP2. If we have two users logged on to the PC at once, it seems that SPF only shows up in the system tray (or is it now meant to be called the notification area?) for one of those users. I encountered a problem today when I was using some software for the first time, wanted to to connect via its Help menu to the manufacturer's website and nothing happened when I clicked the link. SPF didn't pop up to ask me if I wanted the program to allow the program to connect to the internet, but eventually IE said the site could not be contacted. Suspecting that SPF not appearing in my system tray might have something to do with it, I switched users to the other logged on user, and found that in that user's profile there was a message from SPF asking me if I wanted to allow the said program to contact the internet. Of course I had not seen this in my profile, had not clicked yes, and so it was blocked.

This seem to be rather unhelpful behaviour on the part of SPF. Can I make it show in all logged on profiles at once?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Sygate firewall / Win XP

Some application installations are "smart enough" to ask if you want the application to be available only for the current user for for all users. Simplest thing to do is reinstall Sygate while logged in as the other user (with administrative privileges). I believe that there is also a way to do this by copying a file to the other user's profile in the "Documents and Settings" structure, but I can't remember. Perhaps somebody else can jump in.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Well Sygate does show up in all profiles, just not at the same time.

Ian

Thanks

As a further update on this, in case it helps someone else, I found that if I logged on to XP first, SPF showed up in my system tray. If we then switched user, and a second user logs on, SPF shows up in the system tray for the second user, but when we switch back to the first use, SPF has disappeared. And the same in reverse order. So SPF works in all the profiles, but it doesn't seem to like working with two profiles logged in at once. (No problem if only one user logs in at once.)

I installed Mozilla Thunderbird the other day. It couldn't connect to the internet. I switched out of my profile and into the other profile that was logged on and found the SPF screen asking me if I wanted to allow Thunderbird to connect to the internet had popped up there. As no-one had seen it, it hadn't been OKed and Thunderbird couldn't connect.

This is really inconvenient, so I have uninstalled SPF and installed Zone Alarm, which seems to have no such difficulties.

Ian

Thanks

Sorry Ian - I obviously didn't read your first post thoroughly. I missed the point that you were using Fast User Switching. Your problem is discussed in the Sygate Forums . SPF does NOT "fully support" the Switch User feature in XP. Hopefully Sygate will rectify this in a future release. As a workaround, Sygate suggests that users do NOT use this feature - ie. instead logoff and then login. Unfortunately, this is not a satisfactory solution for some users.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Thanks, John.

Using ZA seems to be a practical workaround!

Ian