2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

120% CPU-Load? (XP/SP1)

Hello everybody!

Sometimes, I have the problem, that my USB-mouse moves with some breaks over the sreen, whcih makes it nearly impossible to place the pointer precisely. I found out, that the CPU shows some load (in my case about 18%), but the idler-process has 99%. It seems, that I have one process on my computer, which hides from the task manager, and I have no idea how to find out what it could be (see lpicture)
    Does anybody ever recoginze the same problem? Or even has a solution for this? By the way: during one session, the problem occurs and is gone again - for me it seems by chance.
    Any comments will be appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 120% CPU-Load? (XP/SP1)

For performance reasons, the numbers in the Processes tab of the Task Manager are not updated continually, but with a slight lag. In reality, the numbers always add up to 100%. This is by definition - the System Idle Process (Leerlaufprozess) is not a real process, it's only used to report the amount of unused processor capacity. The percentage displayed for System Idle Process is 100% minus the sum of percentages for all "real" processes, but, as noted, with a certain lag. Perhaps you can see better which processes consume CPU time if you maximize the Task Manager window.

Some things to check:
    - Does your PC have enough memory? (256 MB is the bare minimum for Windows XP, 512 MB or more recommended)
    - Is your PC free of spyware etc.? (see for example <!post=Anti Adware / Spyware / Hijack,296439>Anti Adware / Spyware / Hijack<!/post>)
    - There might be a conflict between the mouse driver and the display driver. You might test the following:

Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
    Select Properties from the popup menu.
    Activate the Settings tab.
    Click Advanced...
    Activate the Troubleshoot tab.
    If the Hardware Acceleration slider is at Full, drag it one or two notches to the left, then click OK.
    If this makes the problem go away, fine. Otherwise, restore the original setting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans!

Thanks again for your very fast answer, I am really impressed! But maybe, I have to describe the problem more detailed. The situation, the screenshot shows, does not only occur for a fraction of a second, but for minutes. I totally agree, that there might be sight differences when building up the sum due to the mentioned lag. But: the screenshot for the CPU load was sorted by CPU-load (descending). There is definitely no process mentioned that uses nearly 20% of CPU! (I have watched this for quite a while) - nonetheless the total CPU-load show the mentioned 18%. I have shown this phenomenon to our IT-guys, and they have no explanation for this.
    Following your advice did not bring a solution to my problem. But maybe a little more information about the used hardware is helpful. I am using a laptop Samsung P30, Intel Centrino 1.7 GHz, 512MB RAM, Windows XP, SP1, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. The system is running Symantec AntiVirus, and it is running properly (checked by our IT department). I also have checked the system for hijackers, but with no result. I also know that another collegue has the same problem. He is using the same hardware. It also seems that the problem only occurs, when the computer is connected with our network.
    And a question just for interest: is it possible to hide a process from the task-manager?

Thanks again for your help, maybe you have another idea with this additional information.

Best regards, Porley

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Coult it be that you need to select 'show processes of all users' in order to see who is consuming your CPU load?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't explain the behavior of Task Manager on your machine.

Make sure that Symantec Anti-Virus does not check network drives (I hope that they are scanned at the server level).

Perhaps one of the Windows (or Hardware) experts has more/better ideas.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You did not select 'prozesse aller benutzer anzeigen', so it could still be that some processes are not shown.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Eddy!

Meanwhile I have checked this, unfortunately without effect - no additional tasks came up. Thanks for the hint.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't answer the 99% question either, but thinking about the mouse problem - how about terminating some of those running processes to see if the USB mouse problem stops. For example NLNOTES, EXCEL, TASKSWITCH, etc. I'm just guessing at some of these, so if you know the names you should be able to shutdown non-essential items to see what happens to your performance.

Edited to add: I forgot - is that WINAMPA the name for Winamp? I'd shutdown that one right away!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the answer. I have checked, if there are processes, which run when I am connected to our LAN and compared them with the processes, which run when I am not connected. I did not find differences so far. Also I have to point out, that this problem only occurs occasionally. Up to now, I did not find any differences in the taskmanager. Also the log-files did not give me a hint.
    But another question: Why should I shutdown Winamp immediately? I use the program fequently and up to now it did not make any trouble.

Best regards, Porley

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the frightening emphasis on my part! I have no problem with Winamp and my shutdown suggestions were only suggested as a temporary measure to see if eliminating one or more would improve your mouse performance. Unfortunately, if the herky-jerky performance (or whatever it is) happens only occasionally, it would take a little use-time to determine when the "problem" goes away. I still think my idea is worth trying - it shouldn't "hurt" anything if you don't disrupt essential processes. Stranger things have happened in the wild world of PCs.