Thread: _Restore Folder

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

_Restore Folder

A friend has Windows ME and a 10 GB hard drive. About 7.5 GB of the hard drive is used. In looking at the folders to see what was taking up so much space, I found a folder names _Restore which has a sub folder called TEMP (and others). The TEMP folder has over 3 GB in it but when I click on it to see what is there, the system freezes or says there no files to be shown. I checked the System Restore settings and it is set to hold only 1182 MB, which is the maximum. How can we get rid of the files (or whatever is in it) within TEMP to regain the space on the hard drive.

Thanks

Re: _Restore Folder

If these are created by your System Restore, I think you have a couple of options. If you turn off SR, reboot then turn it back on agaian, I believe it clears all the space used, but bear in mind you will lose all your previous restore points. Otherwise, see if this article in PC Answers helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif,

I guess my real question is whether or not the _RESTORE folder is part of System Restore or not. And if is, why does it use up over 3 GB of space when the System Restore setting is at 1182 MBs.

Thanks

MSKB 267951: Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Millennium Edition
    <hr>The Restore Point and System CheckPoint files that are created under the above conditions are stored in compressed (.cab) format and are located in the _Restore folder....<hr>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your input Leif. Within the _Restore folder, there is a sub folder named TEMP which uses over 3 GB of space. I could not view the files that were within the file. I suppose I should first disable System Restore and see what happens to the used space on the hard drive. The funny thing is that there is over 3 GB of files in _Restore when the maximum setting for System Restore is 1182 GB.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

I honestly don't know. All the signs seem to indicate that the folder is controlled by System Restore so if you can afford to do without it temporarily, turn it off as you suggest and just see what happens.

As to why you have over 3GB of files there with a setting of just over 1GB I have no idea - perhaps one of the links I gave provided some clues, I'm afraid I didn't have time to read them all myself.