Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transition Navigation Keys (2000)

I keep getting apostrophes infront of all my numbers in the formula bar and when I use formulas it doesn't say they're equal but they are. It has something to do with the transition navigation keys, but when you turn it off, the apostrophes go away, but it still says they're not equal. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Transition Navigation Keys (2000)

You'll have to be more specific or attach a sample workbook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I paste in data from other files, Excel adds an apostrophe in front of the data in each cell. You cant see it on the spreadsheet, but it appears in the formula bar when the transition navigation keys are turned on. It adds an apostrophe for left justified, a carat for middle, and a quote for right. This caracter makes the cell different from other cells that it should be equal to, and when I run comparisons it say they are not equal when they really are. For instance a cell that looks blank may actually have an apostrophe in it in the formula bar and will not work with formulas. Example: (a2="","Blank","Not Blank") Even though a2 appears to have nothing in it will return Not Blank.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure that the blank looking cell is really empty apart from the apostrophe? If it contains a space, it still liiks blank, but Excel will not consider it blank, or equal to <code>""</code>.

On my PC (Excel 2002 SP-3), a cell with only an apostrophe, carat or double quote is still considered to be equal to <code>""</code> by Excel, but a cell containing one of those plus a space isn't.

Thanks

Try (example):
    <pre>=if(trim(a2)="","Blank","Not Blank")</pre>

Steve