3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE6 dbx file not being read by OE6 (OE6/latest)

I have a friend who got a new PC. He turned off his old one, hooked up his new one and setup his email account in OE6 and began receiving new messages. After realizing what he had done he turned on his old PC and followed the instructions at the MS KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=...2578&sid=50 to backup his email messages/folders. He also created a new folder on his new PC in OE6 called xxyyzz and moved all the new email he'd gotten in the last few days to that folder. His thinking was that importing the old dbx files might overwrite his current dbx files and he'd lose his new email. So with all of the new email in a new folder in OE6 they would be safe.

Once finished he burned the email backup folder to a CD and attempted to follow the instructions for importing the messages from the CD into his email account on his new PC. All of the old email came through fine but now he cannot see the xxyyzz folder in OE6. The dbx file is in the correct identity folder on his hard drive, but the folder just isn't showing up in OE6. He has his inbox, outbox, etc. but no xxyyzz. This means that he can't access his new email that he received over the last few days.

We tried a few things and none of them worked. We tried creating a new identity and copying the xxyyzz file into that identities folder but again it didn't show up in OE6. We tried using an OE repair tool which was able to get into that file but you have to pay $30 or more for it to retrieve the actual email.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get that email out of there? Are there any free OE email repair tools out there? I searched using Google and found none for free. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, he's running Windows XP Home Edition, 3 GHz processor, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig hard drive, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE6 dbx file not being read by OE6 (OE6/latest)

After posting this I decided to search for the topic in this and other forums and I have found some additional information. I'm going to give this info a try and will get back to you if more help is needed. Sorry for the wasted post.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

The method below worked. I got it off of one of the many forums I go to when a problem arises. I edited it slightly for my friends situation.
    This one is slick:
    Another way to restore your .dbx files to Outlook Express is to create a new Identity.

Open Outlook Express, File>Identities>Add New Identity, Name it Export for recognition sake.

Click on Yes when asked if you want to switch to the new Identity.

Cancel out of the Internet Connection Wizard window when it pops up.

Tools>Options>Maintenance tab, if there, remove the checkmark for Compact messages in the background
    Click Apply.
    Always check for this when creating a new Identity as allowing this process to run in the background can lead to corruption of your messages, SP2 for XP addresses this issue and corrects it to be unchecked by default.

Still, on the Maintenance tab, click the Store Folder button to find the path where your new Export Identity keeps its .dbx files.
    Using Windows Explorer, navigate to that directory.
    Initially, in the Export Identity directory in Windows Explorer, you should see the Folders.dbx file and the Inbox.dbx file.

A side note: After creating a new folder in Outlook Express, you need to click on the folder to create and view the corresponding .dbx file in Windows Explorer.
    With Windows Explorer still open, close Outlook Express, then delete the Folders.dbx file and the Inbox.dbx file from Windows Explorer.
    Copy the .dbx files you want to restore (abc.dbx or xxyyzz.dbx or both) into the new Export identity you created above using Windows Explorer and than close Windows Explorer and open Outlook Express.
    If Outlook Express opens to your Main Identity, File>Switch Identity and select the Export identity.
    This will allow the Folders.dbx file to be recreated which will include the information for the new .dbx files you just copied into Windows Explorer.

You can stop here if you like as you should now be able to see the new folders, containing the messages, for the .dbx files you added, or you can Import them back into your Main Identity.

To Import:
    In Outlook Express, SWITCH back to your Main Identity,
    File>Import>Messages>Microsoft Outlook Express 6>Next>Select the Export Identity>OK>Next>Next>Finish
    You should see a Congratulations Your data was successfully imported....