Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Doesn't Respond (XP Home w/ SP1, Maybe SP 2)

I inherited a HP Pavilion 500 from a biz associate about 4 weeks ago. . I used the PC for about 3 weeks before I realized it didn't have the latest windows goodies. So I updated with SP 2 and some subsequent updates. I immediately experienced an extreme slowdown in internet activity and word processing. There was plenty of capacity in this 256 MB & 60 mg hard drive machine before I did the updates.

I did a system restore to the pre- SP 2 period when everything was working fine. It went to the restore process, shut down and opened to a black screen with only the cursor showing. I shut down again and went to the safe mode screen which only showed the term 'safe mode' in each of the four corners. I then did a 'recovery system check' with a CD HP sent to the former owner. I did it three times but no errors were found. When it reboots, I get a black screen with 4 or 5 choices to load the system. I tried each one. It starts with the HP window showing some loading movement in the indicator bar, but that slows down to a crawl and I hear a faint click or snapping sound and then the black screen appears showing only the cursor.

Any suggestions to get this PC up and running?

Thanks

Re: System Doesn't Respond (XP Home w/ SP1, Maybe SP 2)

Well, if you don't have anything important on this machine yet, I think I would do a clean install of XP.
    Format and reinstall from scratch.
    You could waste more time trying to fix it than doing the reinstall.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think your current problem is that you should have gone to Control Panel, Add and Remove programs and removed SP2 there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do have some important stuff on the PC...biz related as well as personal momentos. I don't mind the length of time it'll take to resolve the problem so if there is a fix, I'd appreciate some advice.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To get to any data on this drive, you may need to remove the drive and place it in another machine as a second drive. This will by-pass the OS on this drive and then you MAY be able to copy off the "Data" to a CD or other device.
    Reinstall this drive in the original machine and format the drive and install the OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.