Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Wetherby, Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    283
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    TMP copies of XL files (excel 2000 (SP3))

    I have an xl file with quite a lot of code behind it (if that's relevant?) that has recently started to duplicate itself on saving. On close if it asks to save I usually click yes but if I've made no changes I get the saved file with a copy whose name is something like "originalfile.xls~RF9F5dab.TMP".
    I've stopped clicking yes but sometimes you forget. It's not serious but it is irritating. Does anyone know what this may be?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: TMP copies of XL files (excel 2000 (SP3))

    I first thought that it might be the temporary file that Excel creates while saving a workbook, but that has a name without a file extension. Check out Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post> to see if you can find the culprit.

  3. #3
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Weert, Limburg, Netherlands
    Posts
    4,812
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: TMP copies of XL files (excel 2000 (SP3))

    Sounds like some code in the file is doing this. Hard to judge without seeing the code though.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Wetherby, Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    283
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: TMP copies of XL files (excel 2000 (SP3))

    Thanks for your pointers, Jan and Hans.
    I checked the code and I think I've sorted it. I have 'before_save' that sorts and if necessary copies a formula down the column to match new entries. I'd put the cutcopymode = false outside the if ... end if section so on occasions it was trying to remove the cutcopy when it wasn't there.
    It seems OK so far now so I think I've fixed it.
    Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •