Lounger
    Thanks

Associate notes with email messages (OL 2003)

I've often wondered if there's a way to make notes on an email message. I know you can flag emails and add reminders, but sometimes you need a little more info than "Call" or "Followup". I'd love to have a way to associate a sticky note with an email message so that when I click on the message, I either see the note or see an icon indicating that there's a note. Ideally, I'd be able to search those notes also. And, even more ideally, it would be one of those free but undocumented features in Outlook.

A web search led me to this product: OutNote Does anyone have experience with it or a similar product?

TIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Associate notes with email messages (OL 2003)

You can edit the e-mail (RTF is directly editable, for HTM and Plain Text, select Edit | Edit Message*)and insert an existing Note Item via Insert | Item.

I haven't tried OutNote.

* If the Insert Item dialog remains grayed out after you get into edit mode, try changing the message format.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. That was something that I didn't know. However, I couldn't get the Insert Item function to ungray (tried changing to HTML, in/out of edit mode, etc) even when the other Insert options were available.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried - edit message, then under format selected plain text (agreed that it would lose formatting).

Then I selected edit message again. This then showed Rich Text as an option. Select this - then I found I could insert an item - including notes,

In the reading pane (I am currently using 2003) the note showed and I could click and access it (I assume in any other version it will show in preview.)

Bit of a long way around - but It worked and was quite good!!!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both. I think I'll probably just make do with the current flag remarks -- it's good to know that I can add notes but I think in the long view, it would usually take me more time to edit messages and notes than to just stop and reread the email.

And a note about the OutNote program I mentioned before: It works fine (and in the preview pane, so no need to edit messages) but I don't think it's worth the $50 to get the full version.

Thanks

You can put whatever text you like in the flag box, there is a limit to the amount of text. But it was more than I thought.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile