Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Reboot Error Problem (XP Pro)

I'm trying to help a lady who purchased a used computer running XP Pro. Ever so often (5 to 10 minutes) the thing comes up with one or more error messages such as the following:

"LS Shell [Export Version] has encountered a problem and needs to close." Then it terminates with some message about Isass.exe status code 107374189, followed by restarting the computer.

On another occasion it produced a message like "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) server terminated unexpectedly." Again, it terminates and restarts the computer.

Any ideas on what's happening and what the problem is?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reboot Error Problem (XP Pro)

It sounds like the computer is infected with the Sasser and Blaster worms.

See What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm. These Microsoft pages provide instructions and point to cleanup tools.

Let her use a firewall (until she gets a 3rd party one, the firewall built into Windows XP is better than nothing) and up-to-date anti-virus software.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I did manage to get her connected to the Internet and got latest virus def's downloaded into Norton before it rebooted. I started the Norton AV scan, but had to leave before it finished. I'll check back with her to see how it went. If nothing works I'll download the removal tools from Symantec and try that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

After some more checking it looks like she definitely has the Blaster worm, so I downloaded the removal tool from Symantec and I'll give it a go at my next visit.