Thanks

Changing par. style nukes char. formatting (Word 2002 SP-2)

As a recent immigrant from WordPerfectland, I've been surprised at the number of annoying (or, at least, potentially annoying) "features" Word has that it won't allow you to turn off. And my "top 10" list of these would certainly have to include the fact that, when you change a paragraph's style, Word nukes any direct character formatting that takes up more than half the paragraph (e.g., if more than half the paragraph's text is italic, and assuming the new paragraph style doesn't include italic, the character-formatted italic text ceases to be italic).

My questions are:

1. Just to confirm (since hope springs eternal): Is there a way to turn this lovely feature off in Word 2002?

2. OK, well, looking ahead, how about in Word 2003?

3. I understand one way to solve the problem is to do most or all of my character-formatting with character styles, which Word seems to always leave alone when you change the paragraph's style. Are there downsides I should be aware of before I create a handful of new character styles (like, uh, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic) and start using them heavily. (I realize I could limit their use to situations where the formatted text is more than half the paragraph, but I'd ideally like a consistent approach where I can just hit Ctrl-I every time I want italic without having to think about whether the formatting is more than half the paragraph).

4. Are there other solutions Loungers have adopted and been satisfied with?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing par. style nukes char. formatting (Word 2002 SP-2)

I don't think there is a way to turn off this behavior. If you make more than half a paragraph's text italic, you may ask yourself whether you applied the correct paragraph style.

There is a long and interesting newsgroup discussion about this subject, with lots of useful links: Direct Formatting vs Styles.

Thanks

Re: Changing par. style nukes char. formatting (Word 2002 SP-2)

Thanks for the very informative link. I though Klaus Linke's post was particularly valuable in pointing out a number of gotchas that apply to character styles.