Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Notification area (XP Pro SR2)

I formerly had a 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in my notification area, but it is now listed as a 'Past Item'. I would like it (and probably several others) to be returned to the display, but I don't seem able to accomplish it, nor do I know why they disappeared on me. (It may have been an unnoticed feature of SP2.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Notification area (XP Pro SR2)

Right-click a blank part of the notification area and select "Customize Notifications". You can adjust the behavior of each icon by selecting it, then clicking the dropdown arrow. You can choose between "Always show", "Always hide" and "Hide if not active".

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I thought that's what I had already tried any number of times, but I must have been doing something wrong because it worked perfectly this time. Many thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And let me add a little something else. I don't see much, if any, comment about this so it may be just Windows "picking on" me. Every once in awhile, with no particular timing pattern that I can tell, I have the same thing happen to me. It's sometimes the Remove Hardware icon but sometimes another, like my AV program or firewall. When I look at the Customize screen, it seems to always be correct, so I usually reboot and the problem "sometimes" rights itself on reboot, but other times it (infrequently) takes more than one reboot. The only times I ever worry about it is when it's an important program like AV or firewall. Seems to be a WinXP "annoyance" and I haven't read anything about how to make it stop. Just for your future reference.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I frequently see this with
    <UL><LI>Safely remove hardware
    <LI>Jabber instant messenger
    <LI>Volume Control[/list]but it doesn't seem to happen with my other System Tray icons.

StuartR