littlebird

Outlook 2003 dll error (2003 SP1)

I keep getting an error when starting Outlook 2003 relating to a bad dll, specifically outlrpc.dll . I'm instructed to re-install Outlook, but to no avail.

This is on a WinXPHome system that had Outlook 2000 running. I uninstalled OL2000 and installed OL2003 and have had the problem when trying to update the 00.pst file to the 03.pst format. Now I cannot even use OL2003 with a new 2003.pst file.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    LittleBird

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 dll error (2003 SP1)

What is that exact error message?

Meanwhile, try to also reinstall 'msvcrt40.dll' in accordance with <!mskb=162568>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 162568<!/mskb>, except that assuming you are running XP as your OS, the file will reside in .system32.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

littlebird

Tried the kb fix with several restarts, still no change.

The specific message is "The file OUTLRPC.dll is incompatible with Microsoft Office Outlook, please reinstall Outlook." with an OK button.

After clicking OK, it brings up a message box:
    Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry ..... etc. and offers to send a report to Microsoft.

This machine is running Windows XP Home with SP2.

I have another system (laptop) running XP Pro with OL2003 with no problem. It does NOT have the OUTLRPC.dll file on the system.

One difference with the two systems is that the 'problem' system had OL2000 first before an uninstall and OL2003 install. The laptop was a clean install of OS and OL2003.

Thanks for any suggestions

LittleBird

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In my XP OS/Office 2003 installation, 'outlrpc.dll' is installed, in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11, dated July 14, 2003, 8:43:18, Version 11.0.5510.0, 64,056 bytes. Does your version compare?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Mine is exactly the same (as in <post#=437369>post 437369</post#>). If you are able to start Outlook, try a "Detect and Repair" (from the Help Menu).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

littlebird

Thanks John and John.

However, the "Detect and Repair" did not fix it. I have the same size & version in the same folder on the 'problem' machine. However, I checked again, and this file is NOT on my laptop and is working.

Oops, just remembered another difference, The laptop is working with a 97-2000 version *.pst file and I'm trying to use a new format *.pst file where I'm having problems.

Might there be registry tweaks to use?
    Uninstall and reinstall of the entire Office suite?
    Reinstall the OS?
    or, format the HD and start over :-( ?

Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Back up your PST, signature files, and nck file, and uninstall -only- Outlook. Then run a registry cleanup program such as regseeker, then reinstall Outlook. Post back if this doesn't help.
    UTC -7ąDS

littlebird

The registry cleanup seems to have worked. Didn't even need to do the uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks for the reg cleaner reference.

LittleBird