Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filemaker to Access (Filmaker Pro 6)

Filemaker and Access are nothing alike. Access databases can be created using wizards and there is a great deal of functionality, but Access is designed to be a relational database and Filemaker, regardless of claims, is not. Data can be entered into Filemaker that is totally illegal in Access and you wouldn't normally have 70 fields in an Access table to manage a mailing list. Instead you would have multiple related tables. Filemaker also allows you to store multiple values in the same field, which is not valid in a relational design.

As for compatibility, the answer is a highly qualified maybe. You can save a *data* database to an Access 97 format from the later versions, but you can't make design changes in that format. If the others are using anything earlier than 97, you're out of luck. If they are using 97, you would have to make sure you put your tables in one database and your forms, reports, etc. in another because much of the functionality built into the later versions does not work in 97.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Filemaker to Access (Filmaker Pro 6)

I am thinking of transferring Filemaker Database to Access. I only use Filemaker for a mailing list with about 70 fields per record and I want to know if Access has the same "massagable" ease as Filemaker in terms of locating records by matching fields or combination of fields; fields with same data or fields with no data; using the equivalent of Filemaker's scripts to find, sort by major divisions; make use of repeating fields; display and print selected fields (as in labels); incorporate selected fields in merge operations for print and e-mail? The reason why I want to create an Access database for my data is that many of my associates use Access. Also, if associates have earlier versions of Access and I purchase a new one will they be able to open my Access file? Thanks for any input.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I'm totally Mac so far so I do not know what
    "wizards" are.

The following is not a can you top this question. I have several clients with
    Access on their computers. So, before I buy a PC and office suite, I really would like to know if I can come up with something close in Access to know if I set up enough "tables

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This can certainly be done in Access. The biggest challenge IMO is to learn Access and beginning "thinking Access" and not "thinking Filemaker" any more as these two programs are totally different.
    Francois

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a beginer's book on Access available - other than the manual that comes (I hope) with the program. Tehre has been so much made of the initial difficulty a mind set needed to understand it, I would like to try a smal dose firs.
    Thank you

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See the thread beginning at <post#=345723>post 345723</post#> for some titles of beginner's books on Access.