2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

poultry seasoning

Hi,

I hope someone can help with this. Can anyone tell me what spices are found in poultry seasoning? I can't remember the brand name, but whenever I cooked a turkey in Canada, I would use poultry seasoning in the stuffing. It just isn't available in Oz where I'm living now. I tried the mixed herbs that people use, but it's not the same. At least if I knew what the ingredients were, I could try and mix my own.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: poultry seasoning

I haven't bought commercial poultry seasoning in decades, I find it more reliable to mix my own. I use sage, majoram, thyme, savory, salt & white pepper. I'm afraid I can't help you with proportions or amounts, I tend to just start with a little of this, and add a little of that, until it all smells like what I'm looking for. Sage is the predominant flavor, but you can easily adjust to your own taste.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: poultry seasoning

McCormick's ingredient list for poultry seasoning lists: thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper & nutmeg. http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6435

If this ingredient list follows the usual conventions, they use more thyme than sage. That may explain why I always added extra sage to my stuffing when I was using the commercial product.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love