2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD ROM PROBLEMS (Windows XP Home Edition)

Hi: I have a small problem. When I burn a DVD Movie, I am receiving a successful burn. Then when I try to play the copy of the DVD Movie in the DVD Rom Drive, I get a message that says "no disc in drive." Could it be that the DVD Roms I bought are DVD+R + RW's (data and video discs) and that I need regular DVD +R Roms? Can someone help?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD ROM PROBLEMS (Windows XP Home Edition)

I don't have a DVD burner yet, but I assume this is similar to the situation for CD-ROMS. When you burn a DVD-ROM, the "session" can be closed or not. If the session has not been closed, the DVD-ROM can be read in your DVD burner, but not in a regular DVD player. The session must be closed if you want to use the DVD in a regular player. Your DVD-burning software must have an option for this - insert the DVD-ROM into your DVD burner and start your software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 891 Posts

Are you trying to play the DVD on a different device on the PC or on a separate freestanding player? TO play a DVD on the PC you need decoding software which is not necessarily supplied with the software you use to burn a DVD. Also, are you sure the device you are using to play the DVD supports the format that you burned?

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

>> no disc in drive

If you open Windows Explorer, can you browse the contents of the DVD that you've burned? Are you attempting to play the movie using the same drive that created the disc?
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Probable cause: Primary Volume Decriptor (PVD) is unreadable. Try to play your DVD on a regular DVD player connected to TV - if you can see the movie, that is the case.

Use another program to copy your DVD - NeroVision or Roxio Media Creator. These programs are prone to such error.